Learning Outcomes and Careers
Upon completion of the Dental Hygiene MS degree program, you will:
- Utilize scientific inquiry, critical thinking, and research methodology in developing contemporary theory and best practice
- Cultivate the incorporation of existing and emerging health informatics and technology within one’s profession
- Contribute to and facilitate development of programs based on population need, diversity, and social and cultural sensitivity
- Promote inter-professional collaboration within an integrated delivery system of health care
- Forge the pathway toward expanding the professional landscape of dental hygiene
Enhance your career with foundations in education and public health
The Dental Hygiene MS program at UB’s Fones School of Dental Hygiene provides you with a foundation in both education and public health so you may gain the expertise necessary to fulfill your career goals across multiple industries.
You will benefit from learning both a theoretical and practical approach to educational methodologies and their application to dental hygiene academia. Emphasis is placed on curricular assessment, development, implementation and evaluation. You will gain experience and understand the role and responsibilities of faculty in didactic, clinical, and laboratory course development through the utilization of instructional technology and applicable learning domains.
In addition, you will be immersed in public health, focusing on the overall health and oral health needs of diverse populations, ways to improve direct access of care, and learning about the leadership roles of the dental hygienist responsible for administering and implementing dental public health programs. Experience and knowledge will be gained in program development, grant writing, research, and methodologies effective in improving oral health.
- Dental Health Educator
- Dental Hygiene Program Director
- Public Health Advocate
- Corporate Researcher
- Product Developer
- Dental Health Services Director
UB's Center for Career Development helps graduates prepare for entrance into the workforce. Our comprehensive career counseling and resource center is dedicated to helping you become an active participant in your own academic, professional, and career development.
Services provided include basics like resume and cover letter building, interview preparation, negotiation, goal assessment, and personal branding.
A Solid Foundation for Career and Academic Opportunities
The Fones School of Dental Hygiene has built a reputation of excellence since it was established as the world's first dental hygiene school in 1913. Graduates from UB with advanced degrees in dental hygiene have gone on to secure the following positions or pursued further education in the following:
- Doctoral Work
- Myofacial Therapy
- Dental Hygiene Program Directors
- Independent Practice
- Education (both on-campus and online)
- Public Health Service Corporations
- Hospital-based Dental Hygiene
- Dental School