Veteran Student Guide

The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, as well as state and local government, offers a number of educational assistance programs for veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces and their dependents. Based on the time and length of service, as well as current status, veterans can be eligible for one or more of these programs.

Please note: All students, regardless of what benefits they believe they may be eligible for, should complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year.

How to receive benefits at University of Bridgeport as a new student

Apply for your benefits with the VA. If you have used your VA educational benefits elsewhere prior to University of Bridgeport, please also complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, VA Form 22-1995.

How to receive benefits as a continuing student

Each term, in which you would like to receive VA benefits at University of Bridgeport, you must submit a Veterans Request for Certification form.

Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is launching the Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship for students training in high demand STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields. The Rogers STEM Scholarship application is now available at

Recipients will receive up to nine months of additional Post-9/11 GI Bill entitlement or a maximum of $30,000. Eligible Post-9/11 GI Bill students must have either exhausted their entitlement or will exhaust their entitlement within 180 days. Eligibility for the scholarship has two paths:

  • A student enrolled in a STEM program leading to an undergraduate degree who has completed 60 credit hours of their program and requires at least 120 semester (or 180 quarter) credit hours to graduate.
  • A student who has earned a STEM undergraduate degree and has enrolled in a teaching certification program.

For additional information, please visit the Rogers STEM Scholarship website or contact VA’s Education Call Center by phone at 1‑888‑442‑4551.


Career resources

Education resources

GI BillĀ® is a registered trademark of the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official US government Web site at

Contact information

The Veterans Certification of Benefits Request Form is available here

Laura Greco, VA Certifying Official
Assistant Registrar
Wahlstrom Library, G-Level
126 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604

  • Phone203‑576‑4396
  • Fax203‑576‑4633
  • Email
  • Email