Acupuncture Institute Mission
The mission of the University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute is to offer a comprehensive education and training that prepares qualified candidates to become successful licensed practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine. The programs seek to advance the practice and discipline of Traditional Chinese Medicine through educational, clinical and scholarly activities. The programs educate and train students to be productive, skilled caring and responsible healthcare professionals.
The Educational Objectives of the Acupuncture Institute are to train and educate acupuncture students who prior to graduation:
- Demonstrate competency in utilizing the four examinations to identify Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) diagnoses.
- Have the ability to formulate and skillfully implement the safe and effective clinical application of Chinese medicine modalities based upon a total assessment of the patient;
- For MS- Acup: to formulate and skillfully implement safe and effective TCM acupuncture, moxibustion, qi cultivation, tui na and adjunctive techniques.
- For For MS-Acu w/Chinese Herbs & DAc.TCM: to formulate and skillfully implement safe and effective acupuncture, moxibustion, Chinese herbal medicine, qi cultivation, tui na and other adjunctive techniques.
- For MS-CH: to formulate and skillfully implement safe and effective Chinese herbal medicine, and dietary therapies.
- Adapt diagnosis and treatment strategies as needed for diverse patient populations.
- Evaluate patient care from biomedical, pharmacological and Asian perspective in order to understand the medical context in which patients present, make appropriate treatment, and consultation decisions in various healthcare settings including as part of a collaborative health care team; and make timely referrals when appropriate.
- Value patients’ dignity and confidentiality.
- DAc.TCM: will have the knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient-centered care in a variety of settings in order to optimize patient health and coordinate care with other healthcare practitioner.
University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute institutional goals are to:
- Offer a comprehensive graduate-level education that trains future graduates in a broad range of TCM knowledge, competencies and skills so that we achieve our Mission and educational objectives
- Administer a professional and affordable treatment clinic that:
- Serves the local community; and
- Instructs student interns in the diagnosis and treatment of health conditions in a diverse population
- Conduct outreach clinics to:
- Support the profession of acupuncture through community service; and
- Train students in integrative care settings;
- Preserve and further the understanding of human health and the art of Asian medicine.
- Produce graduates who can meet state and national licensure requirements.
Acupuncture Institute Vision
The University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute (UBAI) will lead in the movement to create cross-platform approaches to medicine and health between conventional, Western biomedical concepts and Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) training and care. UBAI will train healthcare leaders who, through evaluation of patient care from a variety of perspectives, including biomedical, pharmacological and Asian perspectives, will create opportunities for working in integrative care settings, as part of a collaborative health care team, and throughout the modern US medical infrastructure.