Bachelor’s Degree in Dental Hygiene
The Dental Hygiene BS degree program is completed through the integration of associate degree dental hygiene courses and bachelor’s degree courses, or by continuing studies after completing an associate degree at an accredited School of Dental Hygiene.
Expand your opportunities
The University of Bridgeport baccalaureate degree completion approach is available to Fones students as well as to graduates of other accredited Dental Hygiene programs. With 60 to 90 transfer credits, a student may achieve a Bachelor of Science degree in Dental Hygiene in two additional years. Education at the baccalaureate level, which combines the professional dental hygiene curriculum with a liberal arts education, enhances the dental hygienist’s opportunities, skills, background knowledge, and professional values.
Upon satisfactory completion of semester hours in the areas of study specified, the student will be recommended for the degree of Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene.
Students pursuing a B.S. degree in Dental Hygiene have the opportunity to design a portion of their curriculum to meet personal career goals. The outcome of this planning process is an individualized program that enables dental hygienists to gain desired knowledge and skills and directly transfers this expertise to a professional work setting. Students may identify a minor in human services, education, marketing, or psychology, to name a few subject areas.
The Fones School of Dental Hygiene (FSDH) ascribes to the following program goals through the entry level dental hygiene program:
- The student will develop an awareness of health literacy and the responsibilities of health promotion and disease prevention within the profession and the community she/he serves.
- The student will develop the knowledge and clinical skills necessary to provide comprehensive care to patients/clients.
- The student will develop a commitment to lifelong learning for professional growth and development.
The program will:
- Offer high quality evidence-based educational programs that will enhance the awareness, appreciation and utilization of dental hygienists in health care, research, educational and community settings.
- Prepare graduates who provide and further access to high quality, evidence based, patient-centered dental hygiene care which contributes to the overall health of our patients.
- Encourage interprofessional collaboration in research and education to focus on the overall well-being of the patient
- Prepare graduates who will be leaders in the profession of dental hygiene and are committed to lifelong learning
- Prepare graduates to promote the goals and values of the profession
FSDH ascribes to a set of Competencies for student performance in total client care and personal professional development. The competencies identify what the dental hygiene student must be capable of providing during delivery of safe dental hygiene care at an entry-level, or the minimal performance of the new dental hygienist. In order to graduate, the dental hygiene student must demonstrate successful completion of these competencies. Later on in one’s career, through experience and continued learning, it is expected that the dental hygienist will become proficient, or eventually, even an expert in the delivery of care.
Your future starts today!
- Apply online!
- Financial aid is available, and we accept applications on a rolling basis
- We have comprehensive support services that will get you through college and into a great career
Find additional information about the Dental Hygiene BS degree in the academic catalog.