Counseling Information for Students

While college can be a wonderful time in your life, it also can be stressful. There are a lot of changes and adjustments to make which can be difficult. If you feel overwhelmed and want to talk about some of the stresses or problems you are experiencing while at University of Bridgeport, Counseling Services is here to help you. Our services are free and confidential.

Some of the most common questions we receive from students are answered below. When you’re ready to make an appointment, please contact us at 203‑576‑4454.

Students in Distress

Every student deserves a safe and supportive learning environment. UB strives to support students in maintaining personal, emotional, and psychological health to ensure they reach their academic and personal goals.

At times, everyone can feel stressed, lost, overwhelmed, or anxious. Our counselors are available to discuss a wide variety of issues with students- make an appointment if you feel that this may benefit you.

Friends, classmates, and roommates are often in a position to identify a fellow student in distress. If you believe a student requires intervention or assistance, you may submit a Student of Concern Report to the University’s Behavioral Intervention Team.

Some behaviors to look out for are:

  • The appearance of depressive symptoms such as social isolation, apathy, severe fatigue, the air of hopelessness
  • Unusual agitation, aggression, or non-stop talking
  • Marked change in eating habits resulting in weight loss/gain
  • Noticeable decline in academic performance (grades, class attendance, participation)
  • Talk of suicide, either directly or indirectly (e.g. “I’m not worried about that job, I’m not going to need one”)
  • Evidence of self-harm (cuts, burns, scratches, etc.)

If you or a peer is seeking assistance, advice, counseling, or emergency intervention, contact one of the offices below:

UB Counseling Services: 203‑576‑4454

Campus Security: 203‑576‑4911 or 911

Submit a Student of Concern Report

Contact Counseling Services

Carstensen Hall, 2nd Floor
174 University Ave
Bridgeport, CT 06604

Counseling Services    Submit a Student of Concern Report