English Language Institute Curriculum
The English Language Institute (ELI) offers advanced and intermediate level academic English as a Second Language classes in the fall, spring and summer semesters.
- Students learn academic style writing of multi-paragraph essays, summaries, and research papers.
- Academic reading skills are practiced and strengthened. Authentic sources are used for research skills.
- Listening practice is provided by in-class audio and video. Listening to lectures and taking notes prepares students for university work.
- Speaking class allows for formal and informal, individual and small group speaking tasks.
- Advanced grammar areas are reviewed, especially focusing on editing.
- Cultural awareness is part of all classes so that students know how to be successful in a U.S. academic environment.
- All students can participate in informal conversation groups with American students after class.
- Students have the opportunity to visit university classes and attend campus lectures.
- Students write and perform a skit in front of students and teachers.
- Students prepare and participate in a semi-formal debate with an audience of their peers and/or university faculty.