- We are located on the campus of University of Bridgeport.
- The city of Bridgeport is in the state of Connecticut on the east coast of the United States.
- New York City is one hour away by train.
- A variety of small cities and towns in Connecticut are a short train ride away.
Accreditation and Memberships
- We are accredited through NECHE (New England Commission of Higher Education).
- ELI is a member of EnglishUSA (American Association of Intensive English Programs).
- Staff and faculty belong to the TESOL International Association.
Students who are conditionally accepted into University of Bridgeport academic programs may study at ELI first. Students in Advanced ELI can take academic classes at the same time. To learn more, see Bridge to College English Program.
Students completing the Advanced level of the English Language Institute will be able to:
- Use English grammar in oral communication and academic writing with infrequent or minor errors so that meaning is clear.
- Demonstrate the reading skills needed to determine meaning from academic texts and Internet resources.
- Write stylistically appropriate language for academic essays, research papers, and reports while understanding and avoiding plagiarism.
- Take notes on academic lectures and answer questions based on notes.
- Participate in academic and informal conversations using information read or heard.
- Give a semi-formal oral presentation on an academic topic.