Preserving Evidence for Medical Professionals/Law Enforcement
- Do not shower, bathe, douche, or otherwise clean yourself.
- If possible, do not urinate.
- Do not eat, drink liquids, smoke, or brush your teeth if oral contact took place.
- If you must change your clothes, save all clothing you were wearing at the time of the assault.
- If you have changed your clothes, place the clothing in a paper bag (plastic may destroy important evidence).
- Do not disturb anything in the area where the assault occurred, such as sheets or towels.
- You should also save any text messages, photos, social networking pages, and any other communications related to the incident.
Following these directions will assist in investigating the offense and in obtaining Orders of Protection. Even if you do not currently wish to prosecute, this is the best opportunity to preserve this evidence should you later change your mind.