Frequently Asked Questions


The UB is located on a spectacular 56-acre seaside campus in the state of Connecticut, approximately 1 hour north of New York City by car or train. Our proximity to major cities such as New York, Boston, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. make UB an attractive destination for students seeking to study abroad.

UB has over 120 programs of study and concentrations. The university course catalog contains descriptions of all University of Bridgeport courses, degree programs, and policies.

Learn more about the programs of study available at the University of Bridgeport.

Schools and Colleges (NECHE), the Board of Governors of the Connecticut Department of Higher Education, as well as a number of national and professional accreditations.

View all accreditations and memberships here.

Currently, there are approximately 1,200 international students at UB. We have over 5,000 undergraduate and graduate students in total. Our International population comes from more than 80 different countries and are integral to our wonderfully diverse campus.

At the University of Bridgeport, we take the safety of our students very seriously. In fact, the University has received the prestigious Jeanne Clery Campus Safety Award for adopting technology and other initiatives to safeguard our students 24 hours a day. The University offers a combination of services that include a public safety force managed by Securitas Security Services USA, escort services, and twenty-four-hour monitored access to all residence halls.

This year, we have expanded on the use of our technology adopting a phone application called LiveSafe which can be used by students, faculty and staff. LiveSafe is available for Android and iPhone devices, and allows the user to send tips and messages to campus security, share their location with friends or family, find buildings on campus and access emergency services and preparedness information. The information is easy to obtain directly from your hand held device by scrolling through the information tabs provided, and opening the tab to reach security while on campus or 911/police when off campus. Other information that is available is a SafeWalk feature where you can have a family member or friend follow you on the application to ensure their safe arrival to the destination of their choice. If you are looking for a specific building on campus, the LiveSafe application can give walking or driving directions from wherever you are to the university destination address you choose. LiveSafe will also allow the University of Bridgeport to send out messages to groups or the university at large for emergencies, weather or any information that may be deemed important to the university populous.”

UB was named the safest campus in Connecticut by ADT, a home-security company. ADT based the rankings on fire and crime statistics by the FBI and U.S. Department of Education Office of Postsecondary Education.

If you are currently in the United States, you certainly can! We welcome all prospective students in the United States to contact our Office of International Admissions to schedule a tour or you are welcome to take virtual a tour. We have student tour guides that are generally available Monday-Friday from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Please email or call 203-576-4552 to make tour arrangements. If given enough notice, we may also be able to arrange for you to meet with faculty members as well.

Questions about the Admissions Process


You may submit your application for admission up to twelve months in advance of the semester in which you wish to begin your studies at UB. To meet our application deadline, we strongly recommend that you apply as early as possible, as we receive a high volume of applications throughout the year. Applications received after the deadline will automatically be deferred to the next semester.

  • Spring deadline: December 1
  • Fall deadline: July 15
  • The university does not admit new international students to the summer semester.

The application fee will be waived for all students (graduate and undergraduate)​.

Due to the large number of applications we receive each semester, we are not able to evaluate documents unless we have received your completed application. In order to be most fairly evaluated, your eligibility for admission will be determined only after we receive your completed application and all required documentation.

View all required admission materials.

Your grades/marks are calculated at the University of Bridgeport by converting them to a US grading equivalent Grade Point Average (GPA). These conversions are in compliance with accepted practices used by many universities in the United States.

  • Undergraduate applicants
    • Required scores for direct admission:  TOEFL 75 (IBT), IELTS 6.0. A TOEFL or IELTS score must be presented to be considered for an academic scholarship.
  • Graduate applicants
    • Required scores for direct admission: TOEFL 80 (IBT), IELTS 6.5. See question 7 for more details.
    • All MBA applicants must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score.
  • For more information regarding ways to meet the English language proficiency requirement, click here.


  • While the SAT is not a requirement for admission to an undergraduate admission, a score of 400 in the Critical Reading Section of the SAT can be presented as proof of English language proficiency.


  • GRE requirements for graduate applicants vary by program of study. For specific details, please contact the Office of International Admissions at
  • Doctoral candidates pursuing a degree in Educational Leadership are required to take either the GRE or the MAT (Miller Analogies Test).


Applicants need a minimum GMAT score of 400 to be considered for admission. Waivers may be granted based upon work experience and/or undergraduate academic performance.

UB’s ETS code is 3914.

All non-native English language speakers must demonstrate English language competency by presenting either a proper TOEFL or IELTS score, or by meeting one of our requirements for English language proficiency.

Students who do not have a TOEFL or IELTS score, or whose score is below the minimum for direct admission, may still apply to most programs of study. If you are not able to demonstrate English language proficiency prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test after arriving on campus. If you receive a satisfactory score you will be permitted to enter your academic program full-time. If not, you will be required to attend the University’s English Language Institute (ELI) until proficiency is reached. View more information about UB’s ELI.

For details, see the complete list of International Admissions Requirements. Requirements may vary by program of study.

Applications typically take 3-4 weeks from the date the application is received. Processing time may be extended if certain required documents are missing. Therefore, we recommend that ALL of the above-mentioned documents are uploaded to your online application portal in a timely manner to avoid any unnecessary delays.

Once you have been admitted and received your I-20, you will need to schedule an interview at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country to obtain an F-1 Student Visa. It is very important that you prepare for your visa interview before you go for your appointment. For guidelines on preparing for the visa interview please visit Student Visa Information. Students should NOT make visa appointments until after they receive their I-20 form from the University of Bridgeport in the mail. All students seeking F-1 student visas MUST pay the SEVIS Fee before they go for their student visa interview. For full details, visit .You should bring the following items with you for your visa interview:

Once you obtain your visa, you are required to submit a $350.00 tuition deposit to secure a place for you at UB. For payment information, please see question 4 below.

Financial Questions for Accepted Students


International students are ineligible for financial aid provided by the US government; however, international students are eligible for scholarships. Please visit our International Scholarships page for more details.

Jobs are competitive and an interview is required. Chances improve after the first semester. We cannot guarantee any student a job prior to his/her arrival to campus. An on-campus job can help with the student’s personal expenses (pocket money), but these funds are not sufficient to finance tuition costs. Students may work on campus up to 15 hours a week. Students on F1 or J1 visas are not permitted to work off campus unless authorized through CPT or OPT.

You are required to pay your tuition fees, room and board, and health insurance before or during Orientation Week when you register for classes and before classes begin. International students who receive scholarships must pay the remaining costs not covered by the scholarship. For information related to payments, email Student Financial Services at If you wish to pay from a bank outside of the United States, you may pay your tuition fees at

New students should be prepared to pay half the total yearly costs each semester. (See your I-20 for reference.) Graduate students with required prerequisite courses should expect additional tuition costs, depending on the major. The exact amount of money an international student will have to pay cannot be determined in advance. Our Bursar will determine the exact dollar amounts after the student arrives to campus and is registered for classes. We do not recommend you carry a lot of cash with you to the United States. It is convenient to carry bank checks and deposit them in the local bank upon your arrival. Both graduate and undergraduate students need to pay ALL of their first semester costs (tuition fees, room/board and health insurance) at the time they register for classes. Fees can be paid in U.S. dollars cash, bank check, credit card, money draft, or money order. If your spouse and/or child will accompany you, health insurance is required for them if they are a J-2 visa holder, and highly recommended if they an F-2 visa holder. More information may be obtained from UB’s Health Services Center. Please visit this link for a complete list of costs that you can expect to incur when coming to UB with your dependents. Keep in mind that costs may increase from one year to the next. Your I-20 or DS-2019 reflects the approximate costs for the coming academic year, but does not indicate the costs for subsequent years. Please be aware of this when planning your budget. If you are from a country that requires you to obtain an exchange permit from the bank, please be sure that you explain this to your bank officials.

Arriving on Campus


We advise international students to choose John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) in New York as their arrival airport, as this is the most convenient airport for international arrivals. We are happy to provide you with the following information in order to facilitate your arrival to the University of Bridgeport campus. When you arrive at LaGuardia, John F. Kennedy (JFK), or Newark Airport, go to the Ground Transportation Center and request either a Go Shuttle or Connecticut Limousine Service. We DO NOT recommend taking a taxi from any New York or New Jersey Airport. It can be very expensive. Limited free pick service from JFK airport to the UB campus is available during Orientation Week prior the start of classes. Full details will be provided to accepted students prior to the beginning of classes.

For maps and driving directions, please visit: Directions to the University of Bridgeport

Amtrak train service and Metro North trains make regular stops at the Bridgeport railroad station. From there you can take a quick five-minute taxi ride to campus.

UB offers on-campus housing that is convenient, safe and affordable for international students. While there are many off-campus options available, the University of Bridgeport is not responsible for providing off-campus accommodations. Undergraduate students may choose to live off campus only if they are at least 21 years of age. Living off campus does not affect the amount your bank statement is required to indicate in order to be issued the I-20 form. You still need to show the full amount required for on campus room & board at UB. Please visit Residential Life for more information about housing options.

Limited, temporary on-campus accommodations may be available. Priority will be given to students who have submitted their housing contracts and deposits in advance and for those who plan to live on-campus permanently. To stay on-campus in the dorms you should send in a non-refundable Housing Deposit of $250 along with your $350 Tuition Deposit.

The University provides high-quality health care through its own Health Services Center, which is open during the academic year from Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The University of Bridgeport Student Health Services Center offers high quality, student health care for the treatment of acute illnesses and injuries. Serious medical problems are referred to the local hospital emergency room. A medical director, nurse practitioners, and nurses staff the center. Health Services’ emphasis is geared towards wellness. We offer health education, preventive health screenings, health promotion programs and immunizations. Students’ individual needs are attended to in a confidential and caring manner. All information and records pertaining to any aspect of a student’s health are strictly confidential. All full-time international students are required to purchase the health insurance policy offered through the university. Overseas health insurance or insurance from a previous academic institution is NOT acceptable. It is a State of Connecticut requirement that students show proof of vaccinations. It is VERY IMPORTANT that have your health forms completed before you arrive to UB. You will be unable to register for classes without submitting your health forms to the Health Center. If there are certain required vaccinations you were unable to receive before arriving on campus, you may request them at UB’s health center for a fee. The cost may vary depending on the vaccination you require. A physical examination may also be completed at UB’s Health Center for a fee.

It can be very exciting to think about being in a new country. Please know that there will be people available when you arrive to help explain some of the things around you that you may not be familiar with. Basically, what you decide to bring is your personal preference, but based on experience, we suggest:
– Phone number/ address of any friends and relatives in U.S.A.
– Toiletries such as soap, shampoo, shaving cream, etc.
– Winter coats and warm clothes. It’s cold here in the winter.
– An extra pair of reading glasses (It may cost more in USA!).
– Some traditional outfits from your country, for the International Festival at UB.
– Favorite music from your country (you may find them at a better price back home).
– A battery operated alarm clock (Please note: You may need an adapter to use electrical goods from your country in USA).
– Pictures of loved ones.
– A cricket bat and accessories (if you play cricket back home). Please remember, that anything you may need can probably be purchased nearby. There is public transportation, and UB provides a free Shuttle Bus that takes students to shopping centers to make needed purchases. We encourage students to bring items that make them feel the most comfortable being away from home. We look forward to your arrival!

Academic Questions for Accepted Students


Transfer credits or waivers may be granted for academic coursework previously completed at a college or university level from an accredited institution. Transfer applicants, applicants who have attended any post-secondary institution (college/university), must submit official course descriptions or syllabi, with exact course names and numbers, for all post-secondary academic work attempted so that it may be evaluated for possible transfer of credit. Student-generated course descriptions are not acceptable. The University of Bridgeport CANNOT guarantee the transfer of credit until the department head of your chosen major has reviewed your credentials. Your previous coursework must meet our specific standards set forth in the most recent University of Bridgeport Course Catalog. It is possible that not all of your previous university/college coursework will be transferable to your UB program of study. Please bring your official course descriptions or syllabi with you to be reviewed by your academic advisor during class registration.

If you were previously granted admission and were unable to attend UB, you must submit a new application for the term you wish to enroll. Click Here to submit a new application. We will retain all of your application materials from your previous application so you will not need to submit them again. If you are transferring from another college or university, you may be required to submit updated transcripts. If you were previously granted admission and issued an I-20, you may need to submit an updated financial statement.

No. You will not be able to change your major until you have completed at least the first semester of studies in the major you were initially accepted into. Once you have completed your first semester, the academic advisor of the major you wish to transfer to will evaluate your grades and determine your eligibility. Please note that there are additional academic requirements for certain majors, and you may be asked to provide additional documentation. Changing majors may result in increased coursework and add time to your degree program, and/or increase the tuition fees you are required to pay. Please note that you can change majors ONLY if you meet the specific requirements of the major you wish to change to. We strongly recommend that all students research the program requirements of their major before they request a change.

Yes. You must submit all post-secondary academic records with your application, even if it was a different program, or you do not wish to receive transfer credit. Failure to provide all academic records may result in denial of admission, admission and scholarship revocation, and or refusal of transfer credit.