English Language Requirements

You must demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the ways listed below. Minimum requirements are shown.

If you cannot demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass the ELAB at a satisfactory level, you may be able to begin academic classes.

Ways to Demonstrate English Language Proficiency Undergraduate Requirements Graduate Requirements
TOEFL 75 (IBT) 80 (IBT)
IELTS 6.0 6.0 MS/MBA
6.5 PhD
PTE 53 58
Duolingo 90 95
EIKEN Grade 2A Grade Pre-1
WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. on English Language exam C
SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing Score 450
ACT Exam English Section 19
An official “O” level or “A” level Certificate in English C
ELI at UB Proof of completion of Advanced Level at the University’s English Language Institute (ELI)
ELAB at UB Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeport’s English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB)
One Semester of College English Composition from an accredited American university C
An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Services) Level 112
International Baccalaureate (IB) program “English A” Higher Level examination 4
Visa-seeking international applicants with secondary or post-secondary degrees from the United States and/or these select countries are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency with their application package. Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Canada (excluding Québec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Lesotho, Liberia, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, Virgin Islands, Zimbabwe

The ELAB test is given at the University of Bridgeport to new students who arrive without proof of English language proficiency.

The ELAB is given on several dates before the start of the fall and spring semesters and by request at other times to students wishing to transfer from other schools into academic programs at the University of Bridgeport.

The ELAB is not the same thing as the ELI Placement Test, which is given to students wishing to start their studies in English Language Institute at the University of Bridgeport.

Contact International Admissions

Request More Information