English Language Requirement
Ways to Demonstrate English Language Proficiency
You must demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the ways listed below. If you cannot demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may be able to begin academic classes.
- Proof of completion of Advanced Level at the University’s English Language Institute (ELI)
- Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeport’s English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB)
- A minimum TOEFL score of 75 (IBT) for undergraduate applicants and a minimum score of 80 (IBT) for graduate applicants (post-graduates)
- A minimum IELTS Band score of 6.0 for undergraduate applicants and a minimum IELTS Band score of 6.5 for graduate applicants (post-graduates)
- A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 53 for undergraduate applicants and a minimum PTE Academic score of 58 for graduate applicants (post-graduates)
- A minimum Duolingo English Test score of 100 for undergraduate applicants, and a minimum Duolingo English Test score of 105 for graduate applicants
- A grade of “C” or better from an accredited American university for one semester of college English Composition
- SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing Score of 450 or above
- A minimum score of 19 in the English Section of the ACT Exam
- An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Services) Level 112
- An official “O” level or “A” level Certificate indicating a grade of “C” or better in English
- An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduate applicants and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduate applicants
- A score of 4 or better on the “English A” Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program
- WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. – Score of “C” or better on English Language exam
The ELAB test is given at the University of Bridgeport to new students who arrive without proof of English language proficiency. The ELAB is the Versant English Placement Test, a computer-based test. View an explanation of the test and a video demo here.
The ELAB is given on several dates before the start of the fall and spring semesters and by request at other times to students wishing to transfer from other schools into academic programs at the University of Bridgeport.
The ELAB is not the same thing as the ELI Placement Test, which is given to students wishing to start their studies in the English language at the English Language Institute at the University of Bridgeport.
126 Park Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06604