The mission of the human nutrition program is to prepare graduates to excel as professionals in the healthcare industry, delivering nutrition counseling and medical nutrition therapy (MNT) by integrating an evidence-based functional approach with biochemical and physiological scientific knowledge to generate nutrition and lifestyle interventions that will promote optimal health of each individual.
The Nutrition Institute provides a sound biochemical and physiological study of nutrition which allows students to understand the complex interrelationships between nutrition and health.
- UB has the most established Master’s in nutrition program in the USA (since 1977).
- We teach clinical nutrition from a functional medicine paradigm providing clinically effective and evidence-based strategies for nutrition practice.
- We embed the concept of bioindividuality and personalized care to offer each client a unique and efficacious plan for their health optimization.
- Faculty members include professors who are seasoned academics and researchers as well as leading clinicians in the field.
- Designers and administrators of the program are practicing clinicians in functional medicine/nutrition with decades of experience.
- We feature a unique capstone course, Virtual Clinic, which is the first online clinic experience offered to graduate students in the field. This provides real case study and clinical management experience and is taught by several different experienced clinicians over a semester.
- The Virtual Clinic is eligible for 200-255 hours of supervised experience credit towards the Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) credential awarded by the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists.* UB leads the way in providing this experience to students.
- UB has a robust and unique College of Health Sciences currently featuring 7 schools/institutes and 16 programs across a wide-span of health care disciplines, one of which is the Nutrition Institute. We also offer dual degree program opportunities for students in other UB graduate health sciences programs.
- Our program offers maximum flexibility to complete the program entirely online. The program is perfectly suited for working professionals or those seeking a career change.
* Variation is based on students’ state of residence.