Computer Science BS
Today, computing is an enormously vibrant field. From its inception just half a century ago, computing has become the defining technology of our age.
Computers are integral to modern culture and are the primary engine behind much of the world’s economic growth. The field, moreover, continues to evolve at an astonishing pace. New technologies are introduced continually, and existing ones become obsolete in the space of a few years. The rapid evolution of the discipline has an effect on computing education, affecting both content and pedagogy.
The Computer Science BS degree program core coursework provide basic coverage of algorithms, data structures, software design, concepts of programming languages, and computer organization and architecture. Theoretical foundations, problem analysis, and solution design are stressed within the program’s core materials. Students are exposed to a variety of programming languages and systems and become proficient in more than one higher-level language. A total of 130 semester hours is required for graduation.
Learning Outcomes and Careers
Our Computer Science Students will:
- Demonstrate comprehension of math, science, and basic computer science topics
- Have the ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in the modeling and design of computer based systems
- Exhibit problem solving skills
- Have the ability to use techniques, skills, and modern software tools necessary for professional practice
- Work effectively in teams
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and apply concepts of engineering economics and project planning
- Demonstrate knowledge of contemporary global and societal issues and their relationship to professional ethics and engineering solutions
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and conduct laboratory experiments and interpret and report the results
- Exercise strong oral and written communication skills including those needed for technical writing
- Have an awareness of the need for and demonstrate the ability to keep learning throughout life