Admission to the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program through the University of Bridgeport School of Nursing (ABSN) is highly competitive. In addition to the general requirements as listed below, candidates are also expected to have completed a rigorous curriculum of general education, math, and science foundation coursework, as listed in the Program Prerequisites below, to be eligible to apply. Relevant admissions information can be found below for each applicant student type.
Candidates are encouraged to attend a ABSN Information Session or Open House. To view upcoming events, please visit www.bridgeport.edu/events.
Admission to the Nursing Program is highly competitive. Meeting the following minimum criteria does not guarantee admission.
General Admission Requirements
- A conferred BS/BA degree from a fully accredited Academic Institution
- Applicants must achieve a “C+” or better in all Math and Science courses (including but not limited to Anatomy & Physiology I & II, Chemistry, and Algebra)
- Minimum cumulative Quality Point Ratio (QPR) of 3.0 from all institutions attended in order to apply to the ABSN Program.
- Math and science coursework must be completed within seven years prior to applying to the ABSN Program.
- ABSN pre-requisites include ENG101, MATH103, MATH203, PSYC103, PSYC205, SOCI101, BIOL113, BIOL114, BIOL106, and CHEM113.
- HSCI 230 can be transferred in as a pre-requisite course.
- All pre-requisites must be completed prior to the start of the first day of the first semester. At the time of application, only 3 pre-requisites may be outstanding or in progress.
- Missing General Education courses will be waived (i.e. Fine Arts and a 2nd Humanity).
ABSN Program Prerequisites
|Anatomy & Physiology I||4|
|Anatomy & Physiology II||4|
|Introduction to College Algebra and Statistics||3|
|Introduction to Psychology||3|
|Principles of Sociology||3|
New Applicant Required Material Checklist
- Completed University of Bridgeport application
- Official High School/GED Transcripts
- Transcripts from ALL colleges/universities previously attended
- 2 completed Recommendation Forms
- Please review the Recommendation Form for specifics. Each recommendation form must be placed in a sealed envelope with the referrer’s signature across the closure.
- Personal Essay of Approximately 500 Words
- The personal essay helps us become acquainted with you as a person and will demonstrate your ability to organize and express your thoughts. The essay may include what you know about the nursing profession, your experiences interacting with people, and your views on healthy living. You may identify your career goals and plans for succeeding in the University of Bridgeport School of Nursing. You may attach additional details of circumstances or qualifications not reflected in the application. The candidate should include their name, date, and signature on the statement.