Dear Members of the University of Bridgeport Community,
Thank you for your patience over the past two weeks as we worked to identify the process and timing regarding student room and board refunds. We recognize that this is an important question for students and families in this difficult time. In developing this policy, we had to balance our mission-level commitment to supporting students on their educational journeys with the institution’s finances and fixed costs of operation.
After careful consideration, UB will take the following action regarding room and board refunds for undergraduate residential students. Graduate students living in apartments and the Health Sciences Learning Community have a different refund policy.
- UB will not be issuing a refund for tuition and fees paid for the spring 2019-20 semester.
- The room and board refund will be pro-rated for the period of eight weeks dating back to the week following spring break Monday, March 16 through Sunday, March 22, 2020.
- The refund will be $300 a week, for a possible maximum of $2,400.
- The refund will be applied to a student’s financial account, first, to satisfy any remaining balance owed to the University.
- Once a remaining balance is $0, the additional refund will be applied as a credit toward future tuition, room, and board.
- Graduating seniors (undergraduates) will be issued a refund of the credit following the verification of their graduation status.
- Continuing students who will not return to UB in the fall and have a credit on their financial account may request a cash refund by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The application of the refund to a student’s financial account will take place over the next two weeks as Student Financial Services verifies all residential students with the Office of Housing & Residential Life. Students do not need to initiate this process.
- Dining dollars are included in the refund and will not be rolled over to the fall 2020 semester.
- Graduate students who have not returned to their on-campus rooms will receive a 50 percent refund of monthly rent since March 17, 2020. To make arrangements to check out of your room/apartment completely, please contact email@example.com.
We understand that students and families will have questions about the refund policy. A comprehensive “Frequently Asked Questions” page can be found here. All other questions can be directed to Student Financial Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Vice President of Administration & Finance