The University of Bridgeport (“UB”) respects and protects the privacy of its website users (“Users”) in accordance with applicable state, federal, and international law. As such, UB provides the following information to clearly and simply explain how personal information is collected and used.
UB collects two general categories of information, as further described below:
A. Automatically Collected Information
UB’s website automatically gathers certain information to track User website browsing patterns. This data – which generally does not contain any personally identifiable information – is used by UB to more fully understand how its website is being used and whether certain website content could be enhanced. This automatically collected information includes:
- Routing information: the internet address from which the User accessed the UB website, transaction size and referring domain.
- Technical Access Information: basic information about how the User accessed the UB website including date/time, size and browser/system type.
B. Personal Information Provided by User
Users might also provide various types of personal information to UB (through its website) as part of their educational experience, employment, or other participation in the University community. This information can be shared at several different stages of the educational process – prior to admission, as a student, and post-graduation. “Personal information” refers to information related to the identity of a person, including but not limited to:
- Contact Information such as name, email, address, date of birth, social security and phone number.
- Academic Information such as schools attended, academic history (courses, testing results, grades), extracurricular interests (athletics, clubs), academic recommendations.
- Other Relevant Information such as job history; family/personal circumstances; disciplinary and/or criminal history, information regarding health, disability, race and/or national origin.
The following examples illustrate situations in which Users might provide personal information to UB:
- Fundraising: communications with or outreach from UB regarding development, fundraising, and/or alumni events.
- Admissions applications: responses to questions in UB admissions process (regarding the topics listed above) and submission related materials.
- Athletic Recruitment: information provided to a UB coach or contracted recruiting partner regarding the User’s athletic and academic capabilities.
- Accessing Electronic Resources and Databases: basic name, username, and/or profile information submitted when creating user accounts for various databases and educational resources through the UB network.
- Questions about or Communications with UB: general inquiries to the University regarding admissions, facilities, academic programs, athletics, and/ or other University functions.
UB collects and uses personal information with regard to applicants and students toward the goal of providing quality, post-secondary educational services to undergraduate and graduate students and continuing engagement of alumni and others who support the University’s mission. Specifically, the University collects personal information in its admissions process (including student-athlete recruitment) to recruit and select candidates who are academically suited for UB, as well as to identify accepted students who would benefit from specific campus services. Information about students is maintained by various departments, including the Registrar, Student Services, Department of Athletics, and University Research, for purposes of supporting and enhancing students’ educational experience, and reporting to federal and state agencies, accreditors and the NCAA. Personal information regarding alumni, donors and other supporters of the University is maintained and used by the Office of University Relations.
Personal information of students is generally retained for a minimum of five (5) years from graduation or the last date of attendance. Personal information of employees is generally retained for a minimum of seven (7) years from the last date of employment. However, some information may be permanently retained by UB to properly maintain Users’ academic records (e.g. transcript), as well as to support UB’s related alumni engagement and development outreach.
In certain circumstances, UB shares limited personal information with third-party contractors and vendors providing specific services related to the University’s educational purpose. These relationships are generally subject to contract, requiring the third party’s legitimate interest in the User information which is only used as necessary to perform the third party’s contracted services. Most of these relationships are related to the UB’s academic or IT services.
UB uses substantive technical measures to safeguard and protect User personal information, including without limitation: firewalls, Secure Socket Layer communications and password protected systems.