UB Student Employment - Student Worker at UB's Center for Career Development

The University of Bridgeport provides various student employment opportunities for currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students.

Please understand that employment on campus is not guaranteed, and we encourage those who are interested in working on campus to apply early!

Registration: Students must be registered in a degree seeking program

Verification: Selected students must have the verification completed before applying for authorization to work on campus.

GPA: Undergraduate students must have a GPA of 2.00 or higher.  Graduate students must have a GPA of 3.00 or higher.

Holds: A student cannot have any active hold on their account.  Holds include, but are not limited to:  Travel Hold, Registration Hold, International Student Holds, and Academic Holds

  1. Log onto the UB student portal using your ID and password.
  2. Select “University Forms” from the header menu
  3. Select “Work Authorization Application” in the “Student Employment Forms” section.
  4. Read the requirements. Fill in the appropriate information and submit.
  5. Upon submission, you will receive an email to your UB email address indicating that you have submitted the application successfully.
  6. Provided you meet the necessary eligibility criteria, you will receive another email indicating that your application has been approved.
  1. Apply for pre-authorization.
  2. Search for a job on UBjobnet, network with other students, put your name on the availability list in the Student Employment office. Once employment is offered, have your supervisor complete your approved authorization.
  3. Bring the completed authorization to the Student Employment office along with original documentation (for a complete list of documents please visit the Student Employment page on the myUB portal or click here).
  4. Documents MUST be original documents
  5. You must receive a GREEN CLEARANCE SLIP from Student Employment before you can start to work.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is work study?

Work Study allows an undergraduate or graduate student to work on-campus and earn an hourly-based bi-weekly paycheck.  At the University of Bridgeport Work Study can be termed either Federal Work Study or Non Federal Work Study.

Non Federal Work Study is a University of Bridgeport funded program that is not a grant or a loan.  It does not need to be paid back, but it must be earned by working.  Students who are not eligible for Federal Work Study will be classified as Non Federal Work Study.  You must find a job on campus in order to be able to earn.  If you are not able to find an on campus job, do not be discouraged.  As jobs become available throughout the semester, they are posted on UBjobnet.

Federal Work Study is a federally funded program that is not a grant or a loan.  It does not need to be paid back, but it must be earned by working. If you are eligible for Federal Work Study, it will appear on your Financial Aid award letter.  However, you must find a job on campus in order to be able to earn.  If you are not able to find an on campus job do not be discouraged.  As jobs become available throughout the semester, they are posted on UBjobnet.

Federal Work Study earnings may be used for whatever expenses you have. Your earnings will depend on how many hours you work.  Typically a student will work no more than 15 hours each week. Federal Work Study earnings are considered taxable income, but earnings will not be used to determine your financial need when filing the FAFSA. Federal Work Study is available only the fall and spring semesters.

How do I get Federal Work Study?

To get Federal Work Study:

  • You need to be eligible for Financial Aid
  • Request Work Study on your FAFSA

The University will notify you in your Financial Aid award letter if you have been given Federal Work Study.  If you do not have Federal Work Study in your Financial Aid package, you may contact Financial Aid to see if you can be awarded Federal Work Study.

How many hours can I work?

Students are limited to working no more than 15 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters, winter, spring and summer breaks.

Are there any limits to my earnings?

Students can earn a maximum of $1,000 per semester.

Is there a limit to the number of positions I can have?

Students can work a maximum of two positions per semester.  Any student who serves as a Graduate Assistant is not eligible to hold an hourly position during the same semester.

What happens when I've reached my Federal Work Study Award limit?

When you reach your awarded Federal Work Study limit your position ends.  It is important to stop working when you reach your limit to ensure that you do not exceed your COA (Cost of Attendance).  If your supervisor has Non Federal Work Study funds in their budget, it may be possible to have you be rehired as Non Federal Work Study.


  • The Center for Career Development

  • 5th Floor, Wahlstrom Library
    126 Park Avenue
    Bridgeport, CT 06604

  • (203) 576-4466


  • Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Sep 26 @ 12:30 pm

Learn how to efficiently search for jobs and internships in your desired field. You will get a better understanding of how the job search process works, an ideal timeline to use, and opportunities Career Development has for you!

LINKEDIN PHOTOSHOOT @ Student Center Lobby
Sep 27 @ 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm

Having a professional photo on your LinkedIn is extremely important. All students and staff are welcome to stop by our photoshoot and have a FREE professional headshot taken.

Oct 1 @ 12:30 pm

Your future is important and takes creativity, exploration, and experimentation. Join Career Development for a unique workshop which will allow you to explore the possibilities for your future and a plan on how to reach your dreams.

GRAD SCHOOL WORKSHOP @ Discovery Pavillion
Oct 3 @ 12:30 pm

Thinking about Grad School but not sure where to start? Come join the Admissions and Career Development team to get useful insider tips about applying to grad schools, interviewing for grad schools and more.

Homecoming Weekend 2018 @ University of Bridgeport
Oct 5 @ 6:00 pm – Oct 7 @ 3:00 pm

Join us October 5-7, 2018 for Homecoming Weekend – UB’s annual gathering of alumni, students, families, faculty, staff, and friends!  Tickets are $25 for Saturday, $10 for Sunday, and free for UB faculty/staff, current UB students, and kids under 13.

Saturday registration includes a free tee-shirt, continental breakfast, picnic lunch, two free drink tickets, and entry into most events. Sunday registration includes a free tee-shirt, buffet breakfast, and entry into events.

Visit for more information, including a discounted room rate at the Bridgeport Holiday Inn, and to register for the weekend. Come to campus and celebrate your Purple Knight Pride during the #GreatestHomecomingonEarth!


Like UB on Facebook @ubridgeport Watch UB on Youtube Follow UB on Twitter @ubridgeport Follow UB on Instagram @ubridgeport