Campus Guidelines

The State of Connecticut and the Connecticut Council of Independent Colleges provided institutions with significant guidance for a phased return to on-campus operations. Colleges and universities are empowered to draft their own plans that must comply with regulations at the local, state, and national agency levels. These regulations are in place to safeguard the health of all employees and students. Please read the information below carefully as some policies and procedures have changed for efficiency and safety purposes.

COVID-19 Guidelines for Residential Life

Guidelines for Residential Life

If you live, or intend to live on campus, please familiarize yourself with this list of requirements and COVID-related changes.

UB Community Vaccination Requirements

  • Prior to returning to campus, all student athletes and residential students are required to complete the COVID-19 vaccination process.
  • Commuter students and employees shall complete the COVID-19 vaccination process by October 1, 2021.
  • Students shall submit proof of vaccination by submitting an image of their vaccination card to the Student Health Services (SHS) portal.
  • Employees shall submit proof of vaccination by submitting an image of their vaccination card to Human Resources.


  • Requests for medical and non-medical exemptions will be considered.
  • Students must submit an exemption form to Student Affairs. There will be no exemptions for student athletes.
    • To request an exemption from the vaccine requirement, please ask your Health Care Provider (HCP) to complete this form and return it to no later than August 18, 2021 (residential students) or September 24, 2021 (commuters).
  • Employees requesting an exemption should contact human resources at

Tests/vaccination cards should be submitted here.


Based on rising COVID-19 positivity rates of the delta variant in Connecticut and recommendations from the State of Connecticut Department of Public Health, all UB community members and visitors are required to wear face coverings indoors regardless of their vaccination status, except in dorm rooms, private offices and research labs when others are not present. Face coverings should cover the mouth and nose.

If an employee has a medical condition which prevents them from wearing a face covering, they should contact Human Resources at 203-576-4588.

In addition to following the face covering policy, all unvaccinated visitors and University community members including students, employees and front facing service providers must adhere to the following policies for the Fall Semester, regarding health assessments, contact tracing and random testing.

Unvaccinated students arriving on campus must also do the following:

  • Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated students arriving from within the U.S. must show evidence of a negative COVID-19 test taken within three days of their arrival on campus.
  • Unvaccinated or partially vaccinated students arriving from locations outside of the U.S. are required to have a negative COVID-19 viral test no more than three days before traveling or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 within the past three months, according to CDC guidelines. Once arriving in Bridgeport, individuals must quarantine for seven (7) days upon arrival and present two negative PCR-COVID-19 tests following quarantine.
    • Daily Health Assessment and Contact Tracing Policy
      Unvaccinated students must submit a daily health assessment form via LiveSafe and Student Contact Information Sheet via the portal.
      Unvaccinated employees are required to submit a daily health assessment form and Contact Information Sheet via the LiveSafe app.
    • Random Weekly COVID-19 Testing
      A random sampling of all unvaccinated students, employees and service providers will be included in weekly COVID-19 testing. Students who fail to attend scheduled testing appointments will be subject to a student conduct hearing.

Visitor Guidelines

  • Visitors are allowed on campus for events.
  • Visitors must follow the face covering policy, daily health assessment and submit contact data during their visit.
  • Neither vaccinated nor unvaccinated visitors are allowed in residence halls.

Any individual who tests positive for COVID-19 must immediately contact Student Health Services or Human Resources as applicable and self-isolate for 10 days from the date of the COVID-19 test or symptoms onset.

Self-isolation may be extended beyond the minimum 10-day period until symptoms have improved and individuals are fever free for 24 hours (1 day) – consistent with CDC guidelines.

Quarantine after Exposure

  • Unvaccinated students and University community members who have been exposed to a positive COVID-19 case will enter quarantine for a minimum of 7 days. These individuals will be required to have a negative PCR COVID-19 test no earlier than 5 days from the day of exposure to be released from quarantine.
  • If an asymptomatic contact tests negative on or after day 5 in quarantine, this person should continue to observe quarantine for the full 7 days and self-monitor for symptoms for a total of 14 days.

Exempt from Quarantine

  • Students and University community members who have been exposed to a COVID-19 positive case within 90 days of testing positive for COVID-19 shall be exempted from quarantine if the exposed student remains symptom free. The exposed student must monitor their symptoms for 14-days and immediately report any symptom to the Student Health Services.
  • Students and University community members who have been fully vaccinated do not have to quarantine after exposure to a COVID-19 positive case. The exposed student must monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and report any symptoms to the Student Health Services.

Contact information

  • Students – Student Health Services (SHS) at (203) 576-4712 or
  • University Employees – Human Resources (203) 576-4588 or
  • University Service Providers – Respective Human Resource Department and University main contact

Any student and University community members with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should be tested as soon as possible. Students with symptoms should contact SHS at (203) 576-4712 or

Individuals should observe three feet of physical distance from others, including in student housing, classrooms, and meeting spaces on campus.

Contact tracing is critical to prevent the spread of COVID-19 to members of the UB community. All unvaccinated students must submit a daily health assessment form via LiveSafe and Student Contact Information Sheet via the portal.

All UB employees and students are expected to uphold policies, procedures, and standards that ensure the health and safety of the community. Departmental and program administrators will monitor employee compliance and policies will be enforced by Human Resources. New policies related to students will be added to the Key to UB. The Division of Student Affairs is responsible for ensuring students’ compliance with safety policies and protocol.

What to Do If You Become Ill

If you experience fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, stay home and contact a healthcare provider for guidance—do not go to a healthcare facility before you have called your doctor or a hospital emergency room for instructions.

  • We encourage students who are concerned that they may have had close contact with an ill person who is experiencing flu-like symptoms to call UB Student Health Services at (203) 576-4712, or come into the Health Sciences Center to see someone in Student Health Services from 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday. When Health Services is closed, students should contact AMR through Campus Security at 203-576-4913.