UNIVERSITY RESPONSE TO COVID-19 :
Elif Kongar, Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Technology Management; Professor of Technology Management and Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Elif Kongar is a Professor of Technology Management and Mechanical Engineering, and Chair of the Technology Management Department at the School of Engineering, University of Bridgeport. Dr. Kongar has been utilizing various quantitative and qualitative tools and techniques in her interdisciplinary and technology-driven research. She has published over one hundred well-cited papers in scholarly journals and conference proceedings. Her research areas include economically and environmentally sustainable waste recovery systems and operations, disassembly sequencing and planning, electronic waste, performance evaluation, big data and data analytics, quality improvement, engineering education programs, female participation and efficiency in engineering disciplines, and K-12 STEM education. Dr. Kongar is the Department Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management and an active member of various national and international technical committees, advisory boards, program committees and editorial boards.
Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, Northeastern University, 2003
M.S., Industrial Engineering, Yildiz Technical University, 1997
B.S., Industrial Engineering, Yildiz Technical University, 1995
Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Operations Research, Decision Theory, Forecasting Techniques, Mathematical Statistics and Reliability, Service Management and Engineering, Data Visualization and Analysis, Simulation and Modeling.
- Rosentrater, K. A., Palmade, L. P., Kongar, E., eds. (2020). Nutrition at the Crossroads: Food at the Intersection of Environmental, Economic, and Social Sustainability. Lausanne: Frontiers Media SA. doi: 10.3389/978-2-88963-250-3, (Frontiers eBook).
- Duman, G. M., Kongar, E. and Gupta, S. M., “Predictive Analysis of Electronic Waste For Reverse Logistics Operations: A Comparison of Improved Univariate Grey Models”, Soft Computing, SOCO-D-19-01926R2, Accepted, March 2020.
- Vo, B. and Kongar, E., Suárez Barraza, M.F., “Root-Cause Problem Solving in an Industry 4.0 Context”, IEEE Engineering Management Review, pp. 1-9, Print ISSN: 0360-8581, Online ISSN: 1937-4178 Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/EMR.2020.2966980, January 2020.
- Tozanli, O., Kongar E., Gupta S.M., “Trade-in-to-Upgrade as a Marketing Strategy in Disassembly-to-Order Systems at the Edge of Blockchain Technology, International Journal of Production Research, Manuscript ID# TPRS-2019-IJPR-1266, Accepted, December 31 2019.
- Ammar Y. Alqahtani, Elif Kongar, Kishore K. Pochampally, Surendra M. Gupta, Responsible Manufacturing: Issues Pertaining to Sustainability, CRC Press, February 18, 2019, ISBN 9780815375074.
- Duman, G. M., Kongar, E. and Gupta, S. M., “Estimation of electronic waste using optimized multivariate grey models”, Waste Management, Volume 95, Pages 241-249, 2019.
- Alshibli, M., ElSayed, A., Kongar, E., Sobh, T., Gupta, S.M., “Robust Robotic Disassembly Sequence Design Using Orthogonal Arrays and Task Allocation”, Robotics, 8(1), 20, 2019.
- Duman, G. M., El Sayed, A., Kongar, E. and Gupta, S. M., “An Intelligent Multi-Attribute Group Decision Making Approach with Preference Elicitation for Performance Evaluation”, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, TEM-18-0629, Accepted (19-Feb-2019).
- Vo, B. and Kongar, E., Suárez Barraza, M.F., “Kaizen Event Approach: A Case Study In Packaging Industry”, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management (IJPPM), Manuscript ID IJPPM-07-2018-0257, Accepted (12-Feb-2019).
- ElSayed, A., Kongar, E., Mahmood, A., Sobh, T., and Boult, T., Neural Generative Models for 3D Faces with Application in 3D Texture Free Face Recognition, https://arxiv.org/pdf/1811.04358.pdf, 2018.
Honors and Awards:
Third Place, Moizuddin Syed, Adviser: Elif Kongar, “MEP Progress Tracking Drone”, 23rd Annual Connecticut Business Plan Competition, April 2020.
Recognition of Exemplary Service, University of Bridgeport, November 2017.
Nominee, Northeast Council of Graduate School (NAGS), Outstanding Graduate Professor Award, 2014.
Connecticut Technology Council 2014 Women of Innovation® award recipient, March 27, 2014.
2013 Petit Foundation, Women of Science award finalist.
PI, Kongar, E., Co-PI: Duman, G.M., UB & UB Partners CTNext Innovation Grant Program Application, Project Title: A Decision Support System Application for Performance Evaluation: An Intelligent Multi-Attribute Decision Making Approach, Total Amount Requested: $5,000, Fall 2018, Funded.
PI, Duman, G.M., Responsible Faculty: Elif Kongar, North Pie Inc. Dba Dominos, “A Decision Support System for Performance Evaluation: An Intelligent Multi-Criteria Decision Making Approach”, Spring 2018, $1,000, Funded.
Hersh, Israel, Responsible Faculty: Elif Kongar, Company Liaison: Israel HERSH, Research Assistant: Zapata-Roldan, Felipe, “An applied research on Business Case building for IT testing services”, $10,000, TekVizion Grant, Funded, Spring-Fall 2017. Zapata-Roldan, Felipe, Faculty Advisor: Elif Kongar, Application & Submission, “An applied research on Business Case building for IT testing services”, $10,800, TekVizion Grant, Funded, 1/2/2017-12/29/2017.
Subcontract Investigator, Project Title: Bridgeport City School District’s Magnet Schools Project (2013-2016), Develop and design career-relevant courses for the Fairchild Wheeler Aerospace & Hydrospace Engineering School; Provide consultation and advice for school faculty on relevant topics, Department of Education (Federal Award), University of Bridgeport sub-contract, $377,216, Funded, 2014 – 2016.