UB’s Jahana Hayes wins National Teacher of the Year
School of Education alumna is chosen as America’s top teacher. Jahana Hayes ’14, an alumna of University of Bridgeport School of Education, has been named the 2016 National Teacher of the Year by the Council of Chief State School Officers for her ability to inspire at-risk students to break through the bounds of poverty and … Click to read more.
UB Alumni Art Show, March 24 to April 9
Annual exhibition features works by Pulitzer Prize-nominated photographer amid rich collection of eclectic art. The University of Bridgeport is proud to present its fifth annual Alumni Art Show from March 24 to April 9 at the Schelfhaudt Gallery inside the Arnold Bernhard Center, 84 Iranistan Avenue, Bridgeport. An opening wine-and-cheese reception will be held … Click to read more.
Columnist and author Bessy Reyna at UB on February 25
“Necessary Voices” series continues with Bessy Reyna and “Border Crossings: A Day in the Life of Latino Immigrant Poets” Celebrated author Bessy Reyna, whose popular newspaper columns, articles, books, and poetry have given voice to the immigrant experience, will lecture and read at the University of Bridgeport on Thursday, February 25, from 4:30 p.m. to … Click to read more.
UB Alumna is National Teacher of the Year Finalist
Jahana Hayes, a graduate of School of Education at the University of Bridgeport (UB), has been named one of four finalists for the 2016 National Teacher of the Year Award and the 2016 State of Connecticut Teacher of the Year. Hayes teaches high school history at John F. Kennedy High School in Waterbury, Connecticut. She … Click to read more.
Professor Emeritus and former Connecticut Poet Laureate Richard Allen appears on “Prairie Home Companion”
Richard “Dick” Allen, beloved professor emeritus at the University of Bridgeport (UB) and the former Poet Laureate of Connecticut, shared his magisterial work with millions of listeners on November 21, when he was invited to perform on “Prairie Home Companion,” the nationally-recognized variety show hosted by Garrison Keillor. The show was broadcast live from the … Click to read more.
[caption id="attachment_31187" align="alignleft" width="150"] Dr. Richard L. Rubenstein[/caption]
Join us in celebrating the 50th anniversary of the publication of After Auschwitz, one of the most influential and searing examinations of faith after the Holocaust. The University of Bridgeport (UB) will honor its author, President Emeritus and Distinguished Research Professor of Religion Dr. Richard L. Rubenstein. The evening will feature a conversation with Rubenstein hosted by UB Provost Dr. Stephen Healey as well as a citation from Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim. UB President Neil Salonen who will lead the event with greetings.
You are cordially invited to attend the 2016 Distinguished Alumni Dinner in honor of:
James Forde ’13
Jahana Hayes ’14
William Manning ’87, ’89
Judy Thompson ’76
2016-17 Alumni Association Scholarship Recipient:
Mendel Murray ’18
6:00 p.m. Cocktail Reception
7:00 p.m. Dinner and Formal Program
$75 Individual, $750 Table Sponsor
Proceeds benefit the Alumni Association Scholarship Fund.
This course will be a concise introduction to the new model of health devised by Professor George Vithoulkas, namely The Levels of Health. This follows the publication of his latest book of the same name in 2010.
Approved for 12 hours of foundational education towards CHC hours.
Featured Speaker (via video conference):
- George Vithoulkas, Professor, World-Renown Author, and Founder of the International Academy of Classical Homeopathy
- Florence McPherson, ND., Adjunct Professor of Homeopathy at the University of Bridgeport College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Andrew Ward, LCH, Dip.IACH, R.S.Hom, experienced classical homeopath practicing in London, long-term student of Professor Vithoulkas, teacher, and head of E-Courses for IACH in UK
- Kim Elia, CEO of WholeHealthNow. International teacher, historian, and dynamic lecturer on homeopathy
The concept of The Levels of Health will be presented. Within the context of the three levels of the human organism, the parameters of the model will be explained – 4 groups and 12 levels- that define the levels of health to which a patient belongs. This is done in order to gain a better insight into the patient’s disease state and therefore to reach a better understanding of the prognosis, before and during treatment. This classification helps us to understand the patient’s general condition and helps us to refine the prognosis and intelligently use any information to evaluate the remedy reaction and subsequent action needed. A proper evaluation of the case progression is essential and only possible with the correct knowledge. The rules and guidelines of this model are clearly presented and will enable the student to evaluate more successfully his/her case and therefore achieve a better outcome. Power point presentation mixed with case examples and one video case will be presented.
Please join us for the Twentieth Annual UB Athletics Golf Classic at the beautiful Race Brook Country Club. To support the rising success and growth of UB athletics, all net proceeds from this event will be used to enhance our athletic facilities to give our student athletes the best possible environment. Your continued support will ensure that the Purple Knights are recognized as one of the elite Division II programs in the northeast.
Register online at give.bridgeport.edu/2016GolfClassic
$250 per player, $1000 per foursome
Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to play an enjoyable round of golf while also supporting UB athletics! For more information, contact Pete Doneit at email@example.com or 203-576-4017.
Celebrate your Purple Knight Pride!
Alumni, current students, families, faculty, staff, and friends of the University of Bridgeport
are invited to join us for a weekend full of fun social, academic, and athletic events!
Stay tuned for updates or follow us at Facebook.com/UBridgeport!
$20 for adults, $15 for students and children under 18, and free for students on a UB meal plan.
Take advantage of a special $5 off early bird rate now through August 31, 2016!
Your registration includes a free tee-shirt, continental breakfast and BBQ lunch on Saturday, and brunch at Marina Dining Hall on Sunday! Also includes entry into events throughout the weekend (exceptions: UBCC Dinner, Athletics Hall of Fame, 5k). Pick up your shirt, lanyard, and more info at the Cox Student Center on Saturday and the Marina Dining Hall on Sunday.
Schedule of Events
Friday, October 14
- 6:00 p.m. Pep Rally
Saturday, October 15
- 9:00 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 9:00 a.m. Alumni Soccer Game
- 10:00 a.m. Harvest Festival/Greek Row
- 10:00 a.m. Campus and Residence Hall Tours
- 10:00 a.m. Engineering Carnival
- 11:00 a.m. College of Chiropractic Facilities Tours
- 11:00 a.m. BBQ Lunch
- 12:00 p.m. Women’s Soccer Game
- 12:00 p.m. Alumni Decades Luncheon
- 12:00 p.m. Veterans Luncheon
- 12:00 p.m. Family Luncheon with the Dean of Students
- 12:00 p.m. College of Chiropractic Luncheon
- 1:00 p.m. Campus and Residence Hall Tours
- 1:00 p.m. College of Chiropractic CEUs
- 2:00 p.m. Academic Open Houses
- 3:00 p.m. Men’s Soccer Game
- 6:00 p.m. College of Chiropractic Benefit Dinner
- 6:00 p.m. Athletics Hall of Fame Induction
- 8:00 p.m. Young Alumni Black Rock Bash
Sunday, October 16
- 9:00 a.m. Registration
- 10:00 a.m. Purple Knight 5k
- 11:00 a.m. Sunday Brunch
- 11:00 a.m. Alumni Baseball Game
- 11:00 a.m. Music Alumni Brunch
- 1:00 p.m. Alumni Jam Session
All events, locations, and times subject to change.
More information: Homecoming@Bridgeport.edu
Hotel and Travel
The University of Bridgeport has arranged discounted rates at local hotels for anyone attending Homecoming Weekend:
- Holiday Inn – 1070 Main Street, Bridgeport: $89 room rate will be offered until 10/1/16. Call (203) 334-1234 and ask for the Homecoming Weekend at UB room block or make a reservation online (discounted rate is applied automatically).
- Marriott – 180 Hawley Lane, Trumbull: $124 room rate will be offered until 9/23/16. Call (203) 378-1400 and ask for the University of Bridgeport Homecoming Weekend room block or make a reservation online (discount rate is applied automatically).
- Courtyard by Marriott Shelton – 780 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton: $95 room rate will be offered until 9/23/16. Call (203) 929-1500 and ask for the University of Bridgeport Homecoming Weekend room block.
The UB Shuttle will be making continuous loops from the Bridgeport Holiday Inn to and from the UB campus on Saturday, October 15 from 10am-10pm. Also on Saturday, from 7:30pm-10:00pm, there will be an added stop at the Crafty Monk on Fairfield Ave. to transport attendees to the Young Alumni Black Rock Bash!