Attend your scheduled Check-In Session to submit all documents.
Student Passport Check-In (as soon as you arrive in the USA)
Student passport check-in is a mandatory process as per immigration policy and the university has a deadline to report your physical presence and your enrollment to U.S. Immigration authorities. All students are required to complete the passport check-in process with the International Center for Students and Scholars, including:
- Students who are entering the U.S. for the first time on a UB I-20 or DS-2019
- Students who have been in the U.S. on an I-20 or DS-2019 from another school and are transferring to UB
- Students who have attended UB’s English Language Institute and received a new I-20 from International Admissions Office for a degree program
*Important note: follow all the instructions given to you with the form I-20 or DS2019 and plan your trip to the United States so that you arrive no sooner than 30 days prior to your program start date.
For passport check-in, please bring:
- I-20 or DS2019 (For transfers: bring all previous I-20s or DS2019s)
- Prepared local U.S. address and local phone (tip: write this in a notebook or on your phone to have available for filling out forms)
You will need to fill out a U.S. address form. Make sure you know the complete address (including street number, street name, apartment number, city, state and postal code) if you live off campus. In addition, you must provide emergency contact information in your home country (first, last name of a person to contact in case of an emergency, street address, city, state, country, postal code, telephone number, email address). Here is an example local US address for correct formatting: 222 Happy Lane, Apt 1B, Bridgeport, CT 06604 (You may also view an example address here.)
Go to the Health Services Center to submit your Health Examination Report.
Make sure you and your doctor complete this report in your home country. For more information on all health requirements, please contact student Health Services at 203-576-4712 or email@example.com.
Students planning to live in the Residence Halls (dormitories):
If you arrive on campus between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., go to the Residential Life Office, located at Seeley Hall, 490 Waldemere Avenue (rear entrance) to sign up for on-campus housing.
If you arrive on campus after 4:30 pm, go directly to Security office in Norseman Hall (203-576-4524), where you will receive instructions for temporary overnight accommodation. The next morning, go to the Residential Life Office to sign up for permanent housing.
If you take the Shuttle bus, you will be attended no matter what time you arrive on campus.
If your travel plans oblige you to arrive at the university after 11 pm, you must advise the Residential Life Office before you depart from your home country. Otherwise, you will not be accompanied and must make arrangements to stay with a friend or relative, or pay for a room in a nearby hotel.
Residential Life contact information:
Students planning to live off campus:
If you do not plan to live in a UB residence hall but have not yet arranged for off-campus housing, you may want to stay at a local hotel or with a friend/relative until you find housing. Some local hotels are listed in below. Temporary housing (two nights) for new students MAY be available (contingent upon availability of space), but priority is given to those who have sent in their $200 housing deposits and housing contracts prior to their arrival at UB. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Hotel Accommodations – Be sure to mention you are a UB student!
- Bridgeport Holiday Inn, Bridgeport, 203-334-1234, $119/night for UB Students.
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott, Milford 203-877-8588, special rate of $114/night plus tax for UB students/families.
- Fairfield Inn, Fairfield, 203-255-0491; approximately $89-99/night.
- Milford Red Roof Inn, Milford, 800-843-7663; approximately $68-99/night.
- Trumbull Marriott, Trumbull, 800-228-9290; $100/night.
- Homewood Suites, Stratford, 203-377-3322; approximately $99 & up/night.