Frequently Asked Questions

If you have specific questions not addressed here, please contact our program coordinator, Terri Roma, at or at (203) 576-4667.

1. Are there any prerequisite courses for the M.S. in Human Nutrition?

There are 3 undergraduate prerequisite courses for non-science majors:

  1. Anatomy and Physiology, 6 credits
  2. Biochemistry, 4 credits or Organic Chemistry, 8 credits
  3. Basic Nutrition, 2 credits

If you have not taken these courses and credits in your undergraduate studies within the last 10 years (and achieved a grade of “B” or higher), these courses will be required before being entered into our Master’s Program. These courses are offered on campus (weekends) or online.

2. Do prerequisite courses qualify for financial aid?

Yes, normally they do if you receive a provisional acceptance to the program. You must be registered for 6 credits per semester to qualify for financial aid. Please contact our financial aid office for more details at (203) 576-4567.

3. What are the admission requirements?

To be admitted for graduate level courses you should hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with an above average academic record, typically a GPA of 3.0 or better.

4. How long do I have to complete the program?

The program can be completed in as little at 28 months or up to 5 years from the start of your first master’s course. The pace is up to you.

5. I have a Doctor of Chiropractic degree but not a baccalaureate degree. Can I qualify for this program?

Yes. Chiropractors may apply for admission into the nutrition program in the absence of a baccalaureate degree. The professional degree warrants a waiver of the baccalaureate requirement.

6. How do I apply?

You can request an application from the Office of Admissions at (203) 576-4552. Complete and submit the application form, a personal statement, and original copies of all of your previous academic transcripts.

7. How will I know whether I have been admitted?

The Admissions office will advise you on the status of your application. The evaluation usually takes approximately 2-3 weeks once your application and all your academic transcripts have been received. If prerequisites are required, you may be provisionally accepted to the program dependent upon your successful completion of your prerequisite courses.

8. Is the University of Bridgeport’s nutrition program accredited by ACEND? ADA)?

No. The University’s program holds no affiliation with ACEND or the AND. The AND is the professional organization for dietetic practitioners. Individuals interested in becoming registered dieticians should consult the Directory of Dietetic Programs, which is published by the AND. Students in this program are qualified to sit for exams given by several nutrition certification organizations upon completion of this program (CNS, CCN, DACBN). Please see Career Opportunities for more information regarding certification.

9. What is the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist?

A dietitian is a health professional who has received the basic educational requirement of a bachelor’s degree with a major in dietetics, foods, and nutrition, or food service management systems. Registered dietitians are those who pass a certification exam after the completion of their academic program and have taken their supervised experience in institutional food service programs.

Individuals interested in clinical nutrition work, nutrition education, and health promotion, but not dietetics, have the option of completing bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in nutrition programs which have no AND affiliation. These individuals function independently of the AND and disseminate nutrition information through methods such as consultation, research, and teaching. These individuals call themselves nutritionists and they are distinguished from dietitians.

Please see Career Paths and Opportunities for more information.

10. Does a M.S. in Nutrition qualify me as a certified nutritionist?

No. Certification as a nutritionist is achieved through your state of residence or through a national nutrition certification organization. In both cases, passing an exam and supervised training are usually requirements for certification. Learn more about Licensing and Certification here.

11. Who are graduates of the program?

Chiropractors, Dental Hygienists, Exercise Physiologists, Dentists, Medical Doctors, Pharmacists, Nurses, Registered Dieticians, Teachers, and others who wish to join the healthcare profession who have never worked in healthcare beforehand.

12. As a Doctor of Chiropractic, with the M.S. in Human Nutrition, can I sit for the diplomate in nutrition from the American Chiropractic Board of Nutrition (DACBN)?

Yes. Those D.C.’s who have a Master’s degree in nutrition from the University of Bridgeport will be eligible to sit for the diplomate of the ACBN. This certification is open to doctors of other specialties as well.

It is important to note that certifications and diplomats represent professional recognition. It does not authorize or license an individual to practice, which is a state regulatory function. Learn more about Licensing and Certification here.