Nutrition (M.S.) Degree
M.S. in Human Nutrition
Offered On Campus
UB’s Master of Science in Nutrition distinguishes itself from other master’s programs in its focus on functional medicine and its growing value in the prevention and management of disease. Embedded in the curriculum is the concept of bio-individuality which enables clinicians to be able to provide customized diet and nutrient recommendations that will be effective. This is provided with an evidence-based scientific approach.
The Human Nutrition Program provides a biochemical and physiological study of nutrition and its role in health and disease. Students gain skill in counseling in alternative and complementary medicine using nutritional strategies. The program further explores the role of nutrition as a preventive, adjunctive, alternative strategy for the prevention and amelioration of specific health conditions.
The program also provides its graduates with a foundation for entering doctoral-level programs, including the Doctor of Health Sciences.
Why Should UB at the Nutrition Institute?
- UB has the most established Master’s in nutrition program in the USA (since 1977).
- We teach clinical nutrition from a functional medicine paradigm providing clinically effective and evidence-based strategies for nutrition practice.
- We embed the concept of bioindividuality and personalized care to offer each client a unique and efficacious plan for their health optimization.
- Faculty members include professors who are seasoned academics and researchers as well as leading clinicians in the field.
- Designers and administrators of the program are practicing clinicians in functional medicine/nutrition with decades of experience.
- Administrative Profile: Karen Siclare
- We feature a unique capstone course, Virtual Clinic, which is the first online clinic experience offered to graduate students in the field. This provides real case study and clinical management experience and is taught by several different experienced clinicians over a semester.
- The Virtual Clinic is eligible for 255 hours of supervised experience credit towards the Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) credential awarded by the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists. UB leads the way in providing this experience to students.
- The Nutrition Institute is committed to postgraduate education online to allow our alumni to continue to excel in the field with cutting-edge knowledge and skills.
- UB has a robust and unique Division of Health Sciences currently featuring 6 colleges/schools/institutes and 12 programs across a wide-span of health care disciplines, one of which is the Nutrition Institute. We also offer dual degree program opportunities for students in other UB graduate health sciences programs. It is the only such program on the east coast to offer such opportunities.
- Our program offers maximum flexibility to complete the program entirely online, or through a one-weekend-per-month, on-campus program. Both are perfectly suited for working professionals or those seeking a career change.
Who Are Our Students?
Our student body is diverse and includes leading physicians from various fields and specialties, various allied health care professionals, as well as those seeking to make a career change into nutritionally-based healthcare. Our faculty is highly experienced at teaching to this diverse group of students and provide a fertile ground for learning and scholarly interchange.
Who Are Our Faculty?
We have over two dozen faculty teaching our program which include Ph.D.’s in biochemistry, advanced degrees in nutrition, and physicians from many fields of medicine. We have created a faculty with a balance of academic and clinical experience to best prepare students for a career in clinical nutrition.
The Institute’s mission is to prepare graduates to positively influence and support specific health challenges and promote overall well-being by integrating biochemical and physiological science knowledge with evidence-informed strategies that link integrative, preventive, and personalized nutrition based interventions.
Want to learn more?
Request information about our career-oriented programs…
The University of Bridgeport will be celebrating its 106th Commencement Ceremony in May. Conferral of Degrees for the undergraduate and graduate candidates from the School of Arts and Sciences, Ernest C. Trefz School of Business, School of Education, School of Engineering, Shintaro Akatsu School of Design, College of Public and International Affairs, Physicians Assistant Institute and undergraduates in the Fones School of Dental Hygiene Degrees will take place on Saturday, May 7, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in the Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard, 600 Main Street, Bridgeport, CT.
This venue will enable everyone to graduate together with family and friends present (rain or shine) and allow for wonderful photo opportunities (thanks to the tiered seating).
Conferral of Degrees for the Division of Health Sciences’ graduate candidates from the Acupuncture Institute, Fones School of Dental Hygiene, Human Nutrition Institute, Institute, College of Chiropractic and College of Naturopathic Medicine Degrees will take place on Sunday, May 8, 2016 at 11:00 a.m. in the Arnold Bernhard Arts and Humanities Center, André and Clara Mertens Theater, 84 Iranistan Avenue, Bridgeport, CT.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Chinese Herbology
- Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine – NEW!
Students will have the opportunity to tour the UB Acupuncture Clinic, view a clinic demonstration, and speak with the Director of UBAI and Admissions. Topics covered will include the application process, scholarship opportunities, and how our program can work for you.
Students interested in the Master of Science in Physician Assistant are welcome to join us for information regarding the application process and program details.
During the event, admitted students will be able to:
• Connect with faculty and current graduate students
• Meet other accepted graduate students
• Finalize their enrollment at the University of Bridgeport
To RSVP, please email email@example.com or call 203-576-4552.