UB Dental Hygiene Program Overview
The Fones School of Dental Hygiene at the University of Bridgeport, the first school of dental hygiene in the world, was established in 1949.
Irene Newman, the first dental hygienist, graduated from the Fones School.
The school takes its name from Dr. Alfred Civilion Fones, a dentist who was important not only at the University of Bridgeport, but also as a pioneer in the world dental hygiene movement.
Accredited since 1953, the Fones program is in full accordance with the principles established by the Commission on Dental Accreditation, a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council on Post-Secondary Accreditation and the United States Department of Education. Graduates are eligible for national, regional, and state examinations.
Students may choose from the following dental hygiene programs:
- Two-year Associate in Science (A.S.) degree
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree or
- Bachelor of Science degree completion online
- Master of Science (M.S.) degree online program
Transfer students typically complete the B.S. degree within two or three years, depending on the number of transferring credits. Students earning the Associate’s degree may apply their credits towards a Bachelor’s degree.
The faculty members of the Fones School are affiliated with international, national, state and local professional organizations. They are active in lecturing to dental hygienists and other health professionals at conferences and in continuing education courses. Faculty members participate in research, grant writing, and student organizations.
Want to learn more?
Request information about our career-oriented programs…
This event is a wonderful opportunity to become acquainted with UB’s campus, students, faculty and staff. We hope you will join us!
Activities will include:
- Continental Breakfast Reception
- Admissions Presentation
- Campus Tour
- Faculty “Meet and Greet”
- Chat with current UB students
- Residence Hall Tour
- Financial Aid Presentation
Monthly meeting of the University Senate. Senators and Presidential Appointees are invited to attend.
This ceremony is set to confer nearly 1500 degrees to undergraduate and graduate candidates from:
- School of Arts and Sciences
- Ernest C. Trefz School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Engineering
- Shintaro Akatsu School of Design
- College of Public and International Affairs
- School of Nursing
- Fones School of Dental Hygiene (undergraduate)
Visit commencement.bridgeport.edu for more details.
This ceremony is set to confer graduate candidates from:
- Acupuncture Institute
- Fones School of Dental Hygiene (graduate)
- Human Nutrition Institute
- Physician Assistant Institute
- College of Chiropractic
- College of Naturopathic Medicine