how do transfer credits work

How Do Transfer Credit Equivalencies Work?

Are you thinking about, or currently in the process of, transferring to a new college or university? Or maybe you’re considering a change in major?

If so, you’ll want to ensure that credits will transfer to your new school or department. Today’s post will explain how transfer credits work and what students can do to confirm that their credits will transfer to their new major or school.

What are transfer credits?

Simply put, transfer credits are courses you’ve completed at one college or university that are then used to meet degree requirements at a different school.

Transfer credits are measurements of comparable prior learning, examined against the current offerings of a college or university by assessing the currency and applicability of the credit petition and claims. Transfer credits convey attendance across more than one institution and thus the sources of transfer credits are annotated per course.

Additionally, transfer credits are usually given for courses taken at the college or university level, but some high school students can earn eligible transfer credits for completed classes approved in the school’s transfer credit policy.

For example, at the University of Bridgeport (UB), we accept the following additional forms of transfer credit equivalencies:

  • Standardized tests, such as the College Level Equivalent Proficiency (CLEP)
  • Nationally recognized evaluations for credit recommendations
  • Individualized written or oral tests designed and administered by qualified faculty
  • Credit for like work experience program (CLEP)
  • Advance Placement (AP)
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) equivalencies

How do transfer equivalencies work?

Typically, students petition for specific transfer credit equivalencies, except when there are transfer articulation agreements outlining the acceptance of credit based upon dual enrollment or other forms of collaboration between schools.

Generally, transfer courses are not counted in the grade point average (GPA) of the new institution. However, they may be recorded to show the level of performance in the course transferred and to record when the course was taken.

A college or university will either accept or decline a transfer credit based on their transfer policy.

At University of Bridgeport, credit equivalencies come down to two things:

  1. The grade you achieved in the course and level
  2. The similarity to the course of proposed equivalency

During a student’s application, transfer, and enrollment process, the admissions office works with the academic departments to determine the acceptability of prior coursework, course credit, and any potentially associated degrees you may have earned.

Once enrolled, the Registrar at UB will articulate the course credit and apply each course toward a specific set of degree requirements and produce the degree audit report for the transfer student.

Who is considered a transfer student?

At UB, any student who has attempted 12 or more semester hours at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution is considered a transfer applicant.

How many equivalency courses can I transfer to UB?

Students are required to complete their last thirty semester hours at UB and meet the course requirements stipulated in their specific program to be eligible for a degree.

Thus, a maximum of 66 credits can be awarded from two-year colleges and a total of 90 credits can be accepted from accredited four-year institutions.

Additionally, all transfer prerequisites taken at the previous institution must be 100 level or higher and acceptance is contingent upon the receipt of all final official transcripts from students’ previous institutions.

Once UB decides whether and how much credit to apply to your individual degree plan, that credit will appear on your official academic transcript of the institution.

What college courses will be accepted as course transfer credits?

College-level courses completed at a regionally accredited institution will generally transfer, provided that a grade of at least a C (GPA 2.0) is earned and the course is similar in content and scope to work offered at your targeted institution. Be sure to check with your targeted institution about their specific transfer credit requirements.

University of Bridgeport also currently maintains a myriad of transfer agreements, which outline the courses students should take in order to complete an associate or bachelor’s degree with the following institutions:

  • Gateway Community College
  • Housatonic Community College
  • Norwalk Community College
  • Middlesex Community College
  • Quinebaug Community College
  • Capital Community College

How can I meet the transfer prerequisites and ensure my transfer credits are accepted by UB?

We strongly encourage all transfer students to apply in advance of the date of the term they plan to transfer and begin their studies. Applying early enables students to receive a timely evaluation of transfer credits, appropriate academic advisement, and program planning.

Our transfer admissions team is here to walk you through the application process and help guide you in determining which program is the best fit.

What materials and documents should I submit in order to transfer to UB?

Transfer applicants should submit the following:

  • A no-fee application for admission through our online application portal or through the Common Application for all students (graduate and undergraduate)
  • Official college transcript(s) from all previous institutions of higher education attended
  • Proof of high school graduation (your official high school transcript or a copy of your high school diploma)
  • Two recommendation forms
    • These forms are required for Nursing and Dental Hygiene applicants, with one being preferably from a math or science teacher.
    • While not required for all other applicants, recommendation forms are highly endorsed.
  • Personal Statement
    • This is required for Nursing and Dental Hygiene applicants.
    • It is not required for all other applicants but is highly recommended by UB’s admissions office.
  • Supplemental Application
    • This is required for Nursing and Dental Hygiene applicants.

Learn more about the transfer process here.

In short, transferring credits doesn’t have to be scary. We would love for you to make the University of Bridgeport your new university of choice, no matter your reason for transferring.

Request information from our admissions office or attend one of our on-campus events to learn more.

All of us at UB cannot wait to meet and serve you!