Transportation at UB
UB is located on the I-95 corridor just an hour from New York and two hours from Boston. The seaside campus rests adjacent to Seaside Park on Long Island Sound. Just a short ferry ride to Long Island, a five-minute shuttle ride to the Metro North Train station and bus terminal, and at the base of Connecticut’s Routes 8 and 25, UB is perfectly situated for easy access to local and tri-state area hot spots, dining, and entertainment.
The University of Bridgeport provides a free shuttle to campus destinations and major transit centers for students with a valid university ID. The shuttle is operated by Campus Security. Please contact them at 203-576-4913 or email@example.com with any questions about this service.
Bus schedules are available at the campus information counter located in the Student Center. The bus terminal is located at 35 John Street in downtown Bridgeport. For more information, please call (203) 366-7070.
National Bus Lines
For traveling out of the local area and out of state of Connecticut, the following services are available:
- Metro North goes Southbound to New York City and northbound to New Haven, making local stops along the way in towns such as Fairfield, Norwalk, Stamford, Stratford, Milford and Hamden, etc. For more information please call 1-800-638-7646 or visit mta.info/mnr
- Amtrak goes to Boston and Washington D.C., as well as other cities and states on the east coast. Call 1-800-872-7245 or visit www.amtrak.com.
- The Bridgeport Railroad Station is located in downtown Bridgeport, opposite the bus station.
Free City Bus Pass
All full-time UB students are permitted to ride on the city bus system for free. The Greater Bridgeport Transit Authority buses stop at many entertainment, shopping, and cultural destinations throughout the city and surrounding towns.
To obtain your city bus pass, contact:
221 University Avenue
Finally, the University has an agreement with Bird, an electric vehicle sharing program. The University of Bridgeport is the first college or university in New England to host the scooter sharing service.
What is Bird?
Bird is a last-mile electric vehicle sharing company dedicated to bringing accessible, environmentally friendly transportation solutions to communities across the world. It provides a fleet of shared electric scooters that can be accessed via smartphone. Birds give people looking to take a short journey across town, or down that “last mile” from the bus to their destination, a way to do so that does not pollute the air or add to traffic. At just $1 to unlock and $.20 cents per minute of riding, Bird’s low-speed electric scooters are an affordable way to get from Point A to Point B.
How to Ride:
Download the Bird app on your smartphone (iOS or Android)
Enter your payment information
Use the app to find a Bird near you, scan a Bird, and go!
Ride anywhere you would ride a bike
Park on a sidewalk, out of the public right of way, between the sidewalk and curb, or at a bike rack
Bird is committed to educating riders about safety rules and regulations at the time of sign-up, and before every ride. When Birding in Bridgeport, be sure to abide by the following rules:
No riding on sidewalks
No riding or parking in any campus buildings
No riding without a valid drivers license
No parking in front of entrances or walkways
Other Transportation Options
On select dates during August and January new student orientation, the University will provide free shuttle service for new students from JFK Airport. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info about this service. At all other times, for transportation from JFK or LaGuardia airports, the University of Bridgeport recommends that you take Prime Time Shuttle (also known as GO Airport Shuttle) to UB. To reserve a seat, you can go to their website and use a credit card. If you have not reserved a seat before you arrive, you can typically secure a seat on a Prime Time shuttle once you arrive at the airport.
- Once you have arrived at the airport, claimed your baggage, and gone through Customs and Immigration (for International students), go to the Ground Transportation Counter located just outside the baggage claim area.
- Call Prime Time/GO Airport Shuttle on the Courtesy Phone to let them know you have arrived, or tell someone at the Ground Transportation Counter that you want to take the shuttle to the University of Bridgeport. They will tell you where to wait, and the driver will pick you up and take you to your address in Bridgeport.
- The ride to the University of Bridgeport takes about 1 hour. The last van leaves the airports at 10:00 p.m.
- The cost for the trip to the University of Bridgeport is about $60. You should give the driver a tip of about $5.
If you arrive at Newark Airport in New Jersey, you can use Connecticut Limo. Follow the same procedure as above, but ask for Connecticut Limo instead. Connecticut Limo does not take you to your campus address but arrives at the Bridgeport Terminal. The price is about $65 per person. The van leaves frequently throughout the day, until midnight. Once you arrive at Bridgeport Terminal, you should ask for a taxi to the University of Bridgeport. The cost of a taxi to campus from the Bridgeport Terminal is about $6.
In the unlikely event that your flight is delayed past the last departure of these pick-up services, you should stay in an airport hotel overnight and come to Bridgeport the following morning.
DO NOT take a taxi directly from any NY/NJ airport to Bridgeport. It is VERY expensive!
The freedom to be you. The wheels to get you there.
Need a car? Borrow a Zipcar! University of Bridgeport has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area. To use Zipcars, simply register as a member, reserve a car online or by phone, use your Zipcar to enter the car, and drive away. When you’re done, return the car to the same location where you picked it up.
Students, faculty and staff – As a member you will get:
- Access to Zipcars 24/7.
- Low rates by the hour or day (starting at $7.50 an hour)
- A variety of new makes & models (gas and insurance included)
- All students 18+ welcome (including international drivers)
Join Zipcar for $15 at Zipcar.com/student. Save $10 on your first-year membership thanks to Ford.
Wondering how it works? There are 4 simple steps to Zipcar freedom:
- Join today at www.zipcar.com/bridgeport
- Once you’re a member, reserve a car online or on your phone for as short as an hour or as long as 7 days
- Let yourself into the car with your unique Zipcard (the keys are already in the car) and…
- Drive away (just make sure to return the car at the end of your reservation)
With Zipcar parked right on campus, it’s easy to get downtown, do errands, or even take a road trip. And since Zipcar covers gas, insurance, and up to 180 miles per day, you can enjoy the freedom of the open road without any of the extra costs.