Frequently Asked Questions for Parents

Many of the questions asked most frequently by parents are on this page. If you can’t find the answer you need, please refer to our campus directory here to find the department you wish to reach or email We will be able to help point you in the right direction and, if necessary, start a conversation among those at the university who can provide assistance and support.

Parents of First-Year Students

No. First year students are housed, alongside returning students, in all of the residence halls except for Chaffee Hall. First year students are clustered throughout the remaining residence halls in areas on every floor. Every effort is made to provide room assignments in which first year students are roommates.
Students living in Barnum, Bodine, Cooper, Chaffee or Seeley Hall are required to be on a meal plan. For more information on the meal plans offered please visit the Dining Options portion of our website.

Residential Life

Each resident is provided a desk, chair, bed, and closet and dresser space. In addition, all rooms include a microfridge (minifridge, freezer and microwave unit), cable access (students must provide their own cable cord) and internet connection (students must provide their own Ethernet cord).
Each residence hall is equipped with laundry machines which are located either in one central laundry room in the residence hall or as separate units on each floor. There is no charge to do laundry in the residence halls.
We recommend that resident students purchase extra-long sheets as many of the mattresses in the residence halls are extra-long in length. For added comfort, many students prefer to bring an egg-cushion mattress pad with them.

For more information, visit Residential Life.

Financial Assistance and Billing

Your student must file a FAFSA, not you! Students can apply for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going to In order for UB to receive your FAFSA, students must input our school code which is 001416.
To receive your maximum eligibility the FASFA should be filed by March 1st of each year your student plans to attend the university. However you may still submit your application after the deadline but we cannot guarantee your maximum eligibility.
Federal Parent PLUS Loans enable parents with good credit histories to borrow money to pay the education expenses of their children. Each child must be a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half time in an approved college or university. You should start applying for the Parent Plus loan 8 weeks before classes start at

For more information, visit Financial Aid and Billing.

General Questions

Yes. Visitors to campus are considered anyone who is not currently enrolled at UB as a student. If you visit your student at their residence hall you will be asked to check in at the front desk. At that time your child, in person, must sign you in and you must present a valid form of identification to Residential Life staff when being signed into the residence hall. Please be sure to keep your guest pass with you at all time while you are on campus. We take security very seriously and those without guest passes will be asked to leave until they have a student host present to escort them on campus.

Absolutely! Family members are encouraged to send letters and care packages to students. It is a welcome surprise. Each resident will be assigned a mailbox in his or her residence hall. Mail is received, sorted and placed in mailboxes daily (Monday – Friday). Packages and any mail piece too large to fit in individual mail boxes will be held in the Mail Center. The Mail Center notifies students, via email, that they have a package.

All mail should be addressed to students in the following manner:

Student Name

University of Bridgeport
Residence Hall Name
Residence Hall Street Address
Bridgeport, CT 06604

The University of Bridgeport has been recognized as the safest residential campus in the state of Connecticut for the past two years. The University offers a combination of security services that include a Securitas Security Service USA managed public safety force, escort services, and twenty-four-hour monitored access to all residence halls. Also, each full-time student at the University is provided a small personal alarm locator (PAL) that allows one to signal for help instantly from anywhere on campus in an emergency. Small and easily carried, a student summons help with the touch of a button. The signal sends information about who the student is and where that student is located to a central computer in the Campus Security Office.

For additional information about security at the University of Bridgeport, please visit Campus Security.