Dear Members of the University of Bridgeport Community,
I hope all of you are well and despite the concerning news from all directions, please keep your spirits up and know that you are in our thoughts on this last day of March. On Monday, I was speaking with my students and they all remarked about how they have more time now. They are spending those minutes being with family, reaching out to friends, thinking, reading, and meditating. I woke up today with a poem by Andrew Marvell running through my mind that I have not thought about in thirty some years:
Let us roll all our strength and all
Our sweetness up into one ball,
And tear our pleasures with rough strife
Thorough the iron gates of life:
Thus, though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run.
While the only sounds you will hear on campus will be from the birds calling to each other, everyone is working diligently from their home offices, dining room tables, couches, and kitchen counters. In the past few days, I have received several kind messages from students, alumni and parents, praising UB and telling me how much the UB means to them.
- Wahlstrom Library and Carlson Hall remain without power. The facilities team is working with electricians to solve the problem and bring the buildings back online. This is causing some administrative delays—we appreciate your patience as we work through this unanticipated challenge.
- Connecticut’s hospitals, nursing homes, and medical facilities are in desperate need of medical volunteers. Governor Ned Lamont is urging anyone with experience in healthcare to register for the volunteer registry called CT Responds. Please click here if you would like to register as a volunteer.
- Three teams of students participated in the AIS Analytics challenge this year. Two of UB’s student submissions were accepted into the finals, and one was awarded third place out of 35 submissions. Congratulations to the following students for their outstanding work:
- Trang Nguyen
- Max Gbormittah
- Krina Sanjay Shah
- Sanjana Marasandra Rangaraj
- Tahseen Ahmad
- Peipei Wu
- Anand Mahant
- Darshan Sheth
- Thanks to the good work and collaboration of The Heckman Center for The Bridgeport Plan and Academic & Campus Technology Services, several paper forms were made electronic in an effort to ensure that students have access to and are able to submit forms that may affect their academic experience:
Once a student completes a form, it will automatically route to the appropriate campus administrator for consideration, approval, or denial. These forms can be accessed in the UB Portal.
- USA Gymnastics selected UB’s Becky Ferraro as its 2020 Assistant Coach of the year. This is wonderful news for Coach Ferraro and the entire Women’s Gymnastics program.
- Since the announcement regarding the cancellation of an on-site commencement ceremony, we have received many questions from students that we have summarized into a comprehensive “Frequently Asked Questions” page on the UB website. This will also be shared directly with students who were pre-certified to participate in graduation. The Commencement Committee will be working with faculty and students to ensure that UB’s virtual ceremony reflects the important symbolism of the day.
Laura Skandera Trombley