Alumni Spotlight On: Wolfgang “Wolfie” Woischke ’75
The Connecticut Soccer Hall of Fame (CSHOF) welcomed one of our own at this year’s annual dinner, held at the Radisson in Cromwell, Connecticut on January 28, 2017. Wolfgang “Wolfie” Woischke ’75 was among seven new members honored at the 2017 Hall of Fame dinner for making significant contributions to the game of soccer. A marketing major at UB, Woischke’s international career frequently led him to building sales and marketing teams in Frankfurt, Germany. He is currently the Owner/President of HappyKicks LLC, a soccer/tennis academy for pre-schoolers in Florida and Maine.
My UB Story
As a student-athlete in the mid-1970’s, some of my favorite UB memories involved chasing seagulls off the soccer field at Seaside Park before practices and games. In the 1960’s and 1970’s, the University of Bridgeport was a Division l soccer power-house playing the best teams in the Northeast – Yale, Adelphi, University of Rhode Island, University of Vermont, Hartwick, Brown, and Springfield. At high tide, we would have to chase the seagulls off the partial soccer/baseball field, and I remember wondering what our opponents were thinking when they came to play! Now UB has one of the finest college soccer fields in the Northeast.
Getting a well-rounded education in the classroom while kicking for goals under coaches Joe Bean and the late Fran Bacon gave me a balanced start in life. From teachers, guidance counselors, and campus life, UB was the perfect educational environment for me. I am most grateful for the foundation in marketing which led me to my career as European Manager for Eurpac Inc. as well as a senior sales and production executive for International Sports and Entertainment AG (iSe), the exclusive VIP Hospitality Program Partner of FIFA for the 2006 FIFA World Cup, held in Germany.
The induction into the CT Soccer Hall of Fame is a very humbling honor, considering I only spent a portion of my life in Connecticut as a player and coach. However my overall involvement with soccer has been a constant in my life, from high school on.
My Top 10 Soccer Points of Pride
In the process of becoming a CSHOF inductee, I was asked to give ten bullet points of accomplishments to be considered for engraving on the permanent Hall plaque and in accompanying printed material. Here’s what I submitted:
- Port Washington H.S., NY, All Nassau County, Captain, MVP, 1965
- Mitchell College All-American 1967, Captain, NJCAA Tournament, 1968
- University of Bridgeport, All New England & All Star Team, Captain & MVP, NSCAA Tournament, 1970
- Bridgeport United Italians, 1970-1973 Connecticut Championship, 1971
- Played Professional for Connecticut Yankees/American Soccer League, 1975
- Coached Bullard-Havens Tech H.S. 1973-1977, lost in final of 1977 Connecticut State “L” Championship
- Inducted into Mitchell College Athletic Hall of Fame, 2006
- Senior Executive VIP Hospitality Program Partner of FIFA World Cup Soccer held in Germany, 2006
- Inducted into Port Washington H.S. Athletic Hall of Fame, 2012
- Owner/President of Hapy Kicks, LLC Soccer/Tennis Academic for Preschool Children
Connecting With Me Today
I would welcome connecting with my UB buddies any time. I can be reached at:
565 S.W. Romora Bay
Port St. Lucie West, FL 34986
Editor’s Note: This story was updated on 2/24/17.