UB Athletics Inducts Its Hall of Fame Class of 2015
On Saturday, October 10, the University of Bridgeport Department of Athletics honored the best of its best at the 2015 Athletic Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Ceremony which was held in conjunction with Welcome Back Weekend.
A crowd of about 100 people gathered in the duPont Tower Room of the Arnold Bernhard center to honor Hall of Fame inductees:
- The 1961 Men’s Soccer Team, which reached the National Semifinals and finished the season ranked number three in the nation
- Chuck Cornell ’73 (football), a record-setting wide receiver and member of two Knute Rockne Bowl championship teams
- Sofia Hoflin ’10 (women’s soccer), UB’s all-time leader in career goals and points
- Rick Smith ’73 (baseball), who holds Bridgeport single-season and single game strikeout records
- Emma Woolley ’09 (women’s soccer), UB leader in career assists plus a four-time First Team All-Conference selection and All-American
This year’s five inductees bring the total number of individual member in the UB Athletics Hall of Fame to 86, and there are now two teams in the Hall of Fame.
Also honored at the 2015 Athletic Hall of Fame Induction and Awards Ceremony were Ken Kaufman ’68, the long-time men’s basketball coach at Worcester Polytechnic Institute and former President of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, with the Fran Bacon Award for Lifetime Achievement in Coaching, and Dr. John Nicholas, UB Professor of Geology and the Athletics Department’s NCAA and faculty liaison for the past 30 years, who received the Purple Knight Shield of Merit.