Find Your Leadership Position in Res Life
The Office of Housing and Residential Life provides more than 125 positions to students in a variety of roles – including Resident Assistant, Guest Relations Associate, and more. Through these leadership positions within the department, students gain valuable professional experience, grow as individuals in diverse community, and make personal/professional connections that will last a lifetime.
If you are interested in any of the positions below, contact the Office of Housing and Residential Life at email@example.com.
“Becoming an RA has taught me to become a better version of myself. I have grown not just professionally, but also individually. I learned to mentor my residents in a way that their full potential would shine through.”
-Rocio Siri, Class of 2018
Resident Assistants (RA)
The Resident Assistant position is a student leadership position that is available to students who have lived on campus for at least one semester. The RA serves as a leader on their floor in one of six Residence Halls on campus, and is a liaison between the residents and the Resident Director. Through programming, the RA helps ensure that the department mission is achieved. Resident Assistant is a sure way for you to build your resume and gain transferable skills you can use for a lifetime. The compensation for the Resident Assistant position includes a double-as-a-single accommodation and meal plan of your choice at no charge during the length of employment. Also your room fees will be waived and your account with the university will be credited appropriately.
The current value of this waiver is equivalent to $8,715/semester. Qualifications for this position is as follows:
- Must have lived on campus for at least one (1) semester.
- Must hold a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative GPA for undergrads and 3.0 for graduates.
- Must be in good financial and judicial standing.
- Will be required to complete, with a satisfactory grade (“B-” and above), HUSV 245, Fundamentals of Leadership, within a year of hire.
- Must be work authorized.
Guest Relations Associates (GRA)
Guest Relations Associates are key leaders in charge of helping shape environments that support the academic and personal development of students. In this position it gives you an opportunity as a student to gain transferrable skills that will benefit you for a lifetime. Guest Relation Associates Compensation for this position is $10.55 an hour. As such, Guest Relation Associate performs a variety of tasks within the residence halls including, but not limited to:
- Operations Responsibilities and Customer Service
- Must obtain student employment clearance from the University Payroll and Student Employment Office.
- Responsible for signing in all guests into the hall.
- Create and sustain an environment of mutual respect and inclusion for all students.
- Assist residents in seeking services by directing them to the answers and/or resources.
- Academic Responsibilities
- GRAs must maintain a 2.00 GPA
The Special Assistant is a paraprofessional, part-time, 11 month member of the Office of Housing and Residential Life. The Special Assistant reports to the Director and or designee.Each Special Assistant will work on a specific housing or residential life operation for the duration of their term; Special Assistants will assist with other administrative tasks; and may have evening and/or weekend commitments. At the start of each fall semester, Special Assistants will sit down with their supervisor to develop a list of expectations or learning goals. ach Special Assistant must be able to complete a minimum of 20 office hours per week, scheduled during normal business hours Monday through Friday between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.
Interest in working in student affairs and/or residential life/housing as a vocation.Enrollment in a fulltime Master’s program with a focus on Student College Personnel
Mediation, intervention, negotiation, organization and problem solving skills.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Must be enrolled fulltime in a Master’s program at the University of Bridgeport.
- Preferred residential life, housing, or student life experience.
- Ability to think broadly while maintaining attention to details and resources.
- Excellent administrative, organizational, time management and communication skills.
- The ability to relate positively and with appropriate boundaries to traditional college-age students.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
Get involved in:
Residence Hall Association (RHA)
The purpose of the University of Bridgeport Residence Hall Association (RHA) is to provide and encourage program participation, as well as services for all students who reside on campus. The RHA seeks the opinions of those who reside on campus to constructively and collaboratively utilize these opinions and ideas to better the residential experience and campus community. Additionally, the RHA will provide feedback to the Office of Housing and Residential Life serving as the student voice and liaison between residential students and the department. Through the efforts of this program, participants will develop strong leadership skills to be utilized in the University of Bridgeport campus community and beyond. The structure of the organization includes an executive board (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Programming and Marketing Specialist) and representatives from each residence halls’ Hall Council (HC).
Hall Council (HC)
Hall Council provides the opportunity for students to get involved in a leadership role and build community in the residence halls. The purpose of Hall Council at University of Bridgeport is to provide quality activities and events that will encourage residents to interact with each other and develop a sense of community within the building. Hall Council represents the opinions of all residents through the Residence Hall Association (RHA). Within each HC there are a range of positions that students can be elected to: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Programming and Marketing Specialist.