Key to UB Student Handbook


Chapter Three: Student Involvement, Governance and Athletics


Students have an opportunity to be involved in a variety of recreation and sporting activities at every level of competition from intramural to intercollegiate.

To Become Eligible for Participation in Intercollegiate Athletics:

Please contact the Director for Compliance, (203) 576-4733, for eligibility requirements. Sports Schedules and further information may be obtained from the Athletics Sports Information Office, (203)576-4726 or

Intercollegiate Athletics

The University Athletics program offers the following intercollegiate Athletic Teams:


  • Men’s Soccer
  • Men’s Cross Country
  • Women’s Soccer
  • Women’s Volleyball
  • Women’s Cross Country


  • Women’s Gymnastics
  • Men’s Basketball
  • Women’s Basketball


  • Men’s Baseball
  • Women’s Lacrosse
  • Women’s Softball

The University’s intercollegiate athletic program participates actively in the East Coast Conference (ECC), Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC), and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

The Harvey Hubbell Gymnasium is the center for intercollegiate athletic programs. The multipurpose field, Knights Field, located behind Hubbell Gymnasium, is home to the UB men’s and women’s soccer teams and the women’s lacrosse team. The Wheeler Recreation Center is home to the women’s gymnastics program. Seaside Park Diamond #1 located near campus is home to the University’s baseball program and the softball team plays at its new home field in Seaside Park as well.


The Intramural program is administered through the Wheeler Recreation Center (WRC). Students are to check with the intramural coordinator’s office concerning eligibility or rules regarding the program. All full-time University of Bridgeport students are eligible to participate in intramurals. Intramural offerings include volleyball, soccer, basketball, bowling, and flag football.


At the University of Bridgeport, opportunities are available for personal growth, relaxation, leadership development, and recreation. Student involvement opportunities vary from cultural, artistic, civic, political, and athletic activities to recreational opportunities. All activities and programs are an important element of college life and the education process. The planning of student activities is done with the purpose of complementing and enhancing the academic mission of the University; improving campus community spirit; providing constructive social interaction; and contributing to students’ physical, emotional and intellectual development. All policies and procedures specifically for clubs and organizations are outlined in the Club Manual.


All clubs and organizations must register with the Center for Student Involvement and the Student Government Association. If you are interested in obtaining more information about any group or if you have other questions relating to clubs or organizations, confer with the staff of the Center for Student Involvement, Student Center Room 231. Students are not authorized to enter into contracts with any vendors; all commitments must be made through the Student Involvement staff.

List of Registered Clubs and Organizations (subject to change), please visit

Forming a New Student Organization

The requirements for the formation of a new student organization are as follows:

  • A charter membership of no fewer than, but not limited to, ten full-time students who are in good academic standing (minimum of 2.00 GPA) after at least one semester at the University of Bridgeport. Students in their first semester at UB can be granted an exception by Student Involvement following an advising meeting.

  • A group constitution presented to, and approved by, the Student Government Association Speaker of the House and the Center for Student Involvement, containing a statement that the group will not discriminate against any person or persons because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, genetic information or veteran status.

  • One faculty/administrator who has accepted the group’s invitation to advise the group and its activities and be present at the group’s social events.

  • For student organizations (new or existing) to be recognized by the University, they must have a Constitution on file with Student Government Association and must register with the Center for Student Involvement annually.

  • In the case of a new national fraternity or sorority, admission to the Greek Council is also required. The fraternity or sorority must supply the national bi-laws and criteria of the national organization. The chartering process is outlines in the Greek Manual.

An inactive student organization may become reactivated by:

  • Informing the Student Government Association of the group’s intention to reactivate the Constitution.

  • Submitting to the Center for Student Involvement, the names of the new officers and the name of the faculty/administrator who accepted the group’s invitation to be its advisor.

  • Reviewing, updating (if necessary), and submitting the organization’s Constitution.

  • Conferring with the Center for Student Involvement.


Fraternities and Sororities

The University of Bridgeport only recognizes nationally affiliated fraternities and sororities. All chapters’ charters must be consistent with the University’s objectives and their constitutions nondiscriminatory and non-restrictive. The University expects the Greek community to effectively serve itself and the University. Any/all interested parties wanting to expand onto the University campus must meet first with the Dean of Students or designee. Interest groups must have the desire to affiliate with an inter/nationally recognized fraternity/sorority.

Funding of Student Clubs and Organizations

University recognized student organizations may apply for an allocation of funds from the Student Government Association, the Student Programming Board (SPB) or other funded organizations for operating expenses during any year that the club is active. A campus group desiring an allocation of funds must:

  • Register its organization with the Center for Student Involvement.

  • Have an approved constitution on file with the Center for Student Involvement at the time of the request.

  • Be in good standing with the Student Government Association and the Center for Student Involvement.

  • Follow the procedures for requesting funds from the Student Government Association CFO or the SPB CFO.

Office Space

All clubs desiring office space in the Student Center should make the request to the Center for Student Involvement. Office space is very limited and not all requests will be granted. There is an application process for any clubs requesting office space. Office space is only for one academic year. The Center for Student Involvement may ask the club to vacate the office space if all requirements are not meant. See the Center for Student Involvement in the Student Center, room 231, for information.

Student Government Association

The Student Government Association (SGA) is the representative form of student government for the student body. The Constitution is available in the SGA office, room 117, Student Center or In striving to promote good citizenship and democratic fellowship, the University of Bridgeport representative student government gives individual students the experience of active participation in governmental procedure and further develops in each student a sense of personal responsibility for the welfare of the University Community.

Revised 8.16.2021