Where in Bridgeport, or the World, Will UB?
At the University of Bridgeport, community and global engagement is inherent in both what we do and who we are. UB prides itself on being one of America’s most internationally diverse universities, providing unprecedented opportunities to graduate job candidates who can communicate and collaborate fluently in today’s global workplace. At the same time, UB’s commitment to outreach and service is deeply rooted in our mission, our history, our curriculum, and our daily lives. Together, our diverse, close-knit community of lifelong learners and educators impact the region and the world.
- Annually, more than 50,000 hours of volunteer work are supplied by UB students and employees for a total annual value of more than $2 million to organizations in the State of Connecticut.
- The UB Clinics alone service 20,000+ patient visits a year for local residents seeking cost-effective health and wellness care at our naturopathic medicine, dental hygiene, chiropractic, and acupuncture facilities.
- In the 2014-15 academic year, MBA students representing 24 countries composed a single class, creating a global village learning environment authentically predisposed to intercultural discourse. This instills a cross-cultural communications competency in our graduates which is highly valued in today’s global workforce.
- More than 1,400 international students (both undergraduate and graduate) walk alongside our domestic students in the hallways and walkways of the UB campus every year, organically infusing our academic community with finely tuned communication skills that cross cultures, languages, and geographical boundaries.
- Since 2000, the College of Public and International Affairs has been preparing professionals for careers in government, the media, business, and civil society, with 4 Fulbright scholars and multilingual professors who have lived and worked overseas for a significant part of their lives among its faculty. Students also have the opportunity to study Arabic, Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Russian, and Spanish among UB’s highly international student body that act as both a “living laboratory” and a “microcosm of the global world” – turning intercultural communication into an everyday reality.
Possibilities for students, faculty, administrators, staff, and alumni to engage in meaningful ways with others through UB are as diverse as:
- Teaching Chinese at Harding High School in downtown Bridgeport
- Partnering with FuelCell Energy to track, monitor, and evaluate an alternative and sustainable energy source on campus and beyond
- Interning at the United Nations, U.S. Department of State, U.S. Congress, International Institute of Connecticut, Make-A-Wish Foundation, Gardenology, Chelsea Piers, Family & Children’s Agency
- Dedicating a week of service during Alternative Spring Break in Rincon, Puerto Rico, or learning about hunger and the homeless during a “Global Gateway” service weekend at Heifer Farm in Rutland, Massachusetts
- Embarking on study and service learning experiences in 48 countries including those in the Middle East, North Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe, Sub-Sahara Africa, and Greater Arabia regions
Opportunities to learn from and service others locally and around the world abound for members of the University of Bridgeport community. Join us in strengthening UB’s commitment to community and global responsibility – get involved today!
Join us October 5-7, 2018 for Homecoming Weekend – UB’s annual gathering of alumni, students, families, faculty, staff, and friends! Tickets are $25 for Saturday, $10 for Sunday, and free for UB faculty/staff, current UB students, and kids under 13.
Saturday registration includes a free tee-shirt, continental breakfast, picnic lunch, two free drink tickets, and entry into most events. Sunday registration includes a free tee-shirt, buffet breakfast, and entry into events.
Visit homecoming.bridgeport.edu for more information, including a discounted room rate at the Bridgeport Holiday Inn, and to register for the weekend. Come to campus and celebrate your Purple Knight Pride during the #GreatestHomecomingonEarth!