Academic Credit from College/University Sponsored Instruction

You should apply in advance of the date of the term you plan to begin your studies. This will enable you to receive a timely evaluation of your transfer credits, appropriate academic advisement and program planning.

    An applicant who has attempted 12 or more semester hours at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution is considered a transfer applicant.

    1. You are required to complete your last thirty semester hours at the University of Bridgeport and meet course requirements as described in each program to be eligible for a degree. A maximum of 66 credits may be awarded from two-year colleges and 90 credits from accredited four-year institutions. 
    2. All courses taken at the previously institution must be 100 level or higher to transfer over.
    3. Your acceptance is contingent upon the receipt of all final official transcripts.

    Articulation Agreements

    The University of Bridgeport currently maintains articulation (transfer) agreements, which outline the courses students should take in order to complete an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree, with the following institutions:

    • Gateway Community College
    • Housatonic Community College
    • Norwalk Community College

    • Middlesex Community College
    • Quinebaug Community College
    • Capital Community College

    Academic Credit from Non-University Sponsored Instruction

    The following are four categories of assessment from which University of Bridgeport (UB) academic credit is awarded for prior learning earned in non-university sponsored instruction.

    UB accepts up to thirty (30) credit hours from the credit recommendations of the College Board’s College Level Equivalent Proficiency (CLEP) exam program. Undergraduate students may earn up to 30 semester hours of credit (one year’s studies) by demonstrating subject area competence through standardized testing. CLEP credit may not be used to satisfy the minimum University 30-hour residency requirement. CLEP credit is not included in the student’s credit hours earned at the University of Bridgeport and is not computed in the student’s quality point ratio at the University. CLEP credit is not considered in the total number of UB hours used to determine eligibility for graduation honors. Information on subject matter and testing procedure is available at the School of Continuing & Professional Studies or at the College Board.

    UB accepts evaluations of non-university sponsored instruction as part of a student applicant’s transfer evaluation. UB accepts evaluations of non-university sponsored instruction from the following nationally recognized institutions:

    • American Council on Education College Credit Recommendation Service: ACE CREDIT recommends academic credit for formal courses or examinations offered by various organizations, from businesses and unions to the government and military.
      • ACE CREDIT includes evaluations on military credits, DSST exams, ALEKS Exams (McGraw-Hill) and many more non-university organizations.
      • The ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI), the ACTFL Writing Proficiency (WPT), the ACTFL Reading Proficiency Test (RPT), the ACTFL Listening Proficiency Test (LTP) and the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview Computer Test (OPIc) are recommended for college credit by the American Council on Education (ACE).
    • National College Credit Recommendation Service (formerly National PONSI), under the auspices of the State University of New York, Board of Regents, evaluates training and education programs offered outside of the traditional college classroom setting and recommends them for college credit equivalencies. National CCRS coordinates teams of college faculty evaluators and subject matter experts to conduct extensive reviews of education and training programs offered by corporations, unions, religious organizations and proprietary schools.

    Students applying for admission to the University should include these evaluations with their application and follow the same procedures as a transfer student. The equivalent credit will be assessed in conjunction with the academic program and other earned transfer credits. [See Transfer Student Requirements]

    On rare occasions, UB provides course credit for successful completion of a final exam (ENGL 101) and for demonstrated oral language skills in a foreign language. These individualized exams are arranged through the relevant academic department.

    Some students acquire mastery over course subject matter through prior work or training experience. UB values the university-level knowledge that student’s may have acquired outside the traditional university classroom.

    In the CLWEP portfolio assessment, students demonstrate that what they already know is equivalent to what they would have learned in an equivalent college course. A student may have acquired this knowledge through past work, independent reading and study, training programs or in-service courses, volunteer service, cultural or artistic pursuits, hobbies and recreational pastimes, community or religious activities, organizational memberships, adult education, non-credit courses, study abroad, military training not evaluated for credit by ACE, or other experiences. A portfolio enables the student to identify and articulate this knowledge, and potentially earn credit for it.

    Students learn the process of identifying areas of course-equivalent learning and portfolio development skills through the CLWEP guidelines and assessment plan that can be acquired through the School of Continuing & Professional Studies.

    CLWEP credit may not be used to satisfy the minimum University 30-hour residency requirement. CLWEP credit is included in the student’s semester hours earned at the University and also in the total number of UB hours used to determine eligibility for graduation honors. However, such credit is not computed in the student’s quality point ratio at the University.