The Student Support Services Program (SSS), funded by the Federal TRIO Programs, is designed to identify and provide services to a selective group of college students who meet eligibility criteria. All of our services are available at no cost with the intent of assisting students in accomplishing their goal of graduating from UB.
Student Support Services at UB offers the following:
- Academic Assistance to help students develop a plan to achieve their individual academic needs and goals.
- Personal Advising to identify the options and resources available to help students resolve issues and reduce stress.
- Access to the Learning Center located on the 5th floor of Wahlstrom Library in the Student Support Services office. The Learning Center provides a quiet place to study, as well as computers specifically for SSS student use. All tutoring for SSS students also takes place in the Learning Center.
- Career Planning to work with students to investigate career options and to design a strategy for realizing their career goals.
- One-on-One and Small Group Tutoring for writing, mathematics, chemistry, biology, and other subjects.
- Group Study Sessions (Supplemental Instruction) for courses that are challenging for many students.
- ExCEL Peer Mentor Program pairs first year and new transfer students with upperclassmen who provide support and guidance that promotes social and academic success.
- Workshops and Seminars on topics such as note taking, time management, developing good study habits, overcoming test anxiety, stress management, learning styles, financial literacy, career planning, and applying to graduate schools are provided throughout the semester.
- Financial Aid Guidance to educate students about their financial aid options, the process of applying for financial aid, and their responsibilities.
- Cultural Enrichment engages our students in activities and trips, both on and off campus, that broaden students’ perspectives on culture, art, education, and more.
- SSS Computer Lab provides SSS participants with a quiet space to do research and type assignments.