SASD’s Design Management program is organized to give business knowledge to working designers of all backgrounds. It teaches how to apply design thinking to business problems, so it is extremely valuable to arrive to the program with a background in design thinking.
Admission requirements include:
- In accordance with the University catalog, applicants must possess an undergraduate degree in graphic, industrial, interior, or fashion design, architecture, or related design or business fields from an accredited college or university with at least a 2.7/4.0 GPA.
- Applicants should have a well-rounded education, as gained through general education courses.
- Admissions will consider writing, speaking, and analytical skills, as demonstrated through college-level coursework or professional experience, although professional experience is not a prerequisite for admission.
- Applicants must submit a personal essay and two letters of recommendation. The personal essay should be 250-500 words in detail about why you are seeking this particular degree, how you expect to apply your degree to your professional career after graduation, and why you want to pursue your degree through SASD. The two recommendation letters are to be from employers, professors, or professional associates, signed by the writer.
- A one-page résumé is strongly encouraged.
- A portfolio is not required, but is an advantage in the admissions process.
- An interview is not required, but recommended.
- Evidence of internship, volunteer, or prior employment in design, design management, marketing, business or a studio setting will be viewed favorably.
Acceptance decisions are made on a rolling basis. Completed applications and all supporting documents must be received by August 1 for the fall semester and December 15 for the spring semester. Early applications are strongly encouraged as program space is limited.