picture of campus


No, many of our students are career changers who have a passion for nutrition, but they do not come from science backgrounds. Prerequisite courses are required for Anatomy and Physiology, Biochemistry, and Nutrition Fundamentals.  These can be taken at UB (total of 9 credits) prior to entry into the MS program or transferred from an accredited institution.  These courses must be taken within 10 years of application to the program and completed with a grade of B or above.

The cost per credit will be $650 for graduate courses. Read more about online tuition & fees and financial aid.

Students must hold a bachelor’s degree and a 2.75 cumulative GPA.

The online program can be completed in as little at 23 months or up to five years from the start of your first master’s course. The pace is up to you.

Yes. Chiropractors may apply for admission into the nutrition program in the absence of a baccalaureate degree. The professional degree warrants a waiver of the baccalaureate requirement.

Complete and submit an application, a 250-500 word personal statement detailing your interest in the program, and official transcripts from each institution attended.

Once your application and all required documents are received, your file will be reviewed by the Nutrition department. Students typically hear back about an admission decision 7-10 business days after their file has been completed.

Yes. The M.S. in Nutrition program is the first to be accredited by the Accreditation Council on Nutrition Professional Education (ACNPE), a programmatic accrediting agency for clinical programs in advanced nutrition. 

No. The University’s program holds no affiliation with ACEND or the AND.  Ours is a clinical nutrition master’s level degree. The AND is the professional organization for dietetic practitioners holding undergraduate degrees in nutrition with institutional food service internships. Individuals interested in becoming registered dieticians should consult the Directory of Dietetic Programs, which is published by the AND. Students in this program are qualified to sit for exams given by several nutrition certification organizations upon completion of this program (CNS, CCN, DACBN). Please see Career Opportunities for more information regarding certification.

A dietitian is a health professional who has received the basic educational requirement of a bachelor’s degree with a major in dietetics, foods, and nutrition, or food service management systems. Registered dietitians are those who pass a certification exam after the completion of their academic program and have taken their supervised experience in institutional food service programs.

Individuals interested in clinical nutrition work, nutrition education, and health promotion, but not dietetics, have the option of completing bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in nutrition programs which have no AND affiliation. These individuals function independently of the AND and disseminate nutrition information through methods such as consultation, research, and teaching. These individuals call themselves nutritionists and they are distinguished from dietitians.

Please see Career Paths and Opportunities for more information.

No. Certification as a nutritionist is achieved through your state of residence or through a national nutrition certification organization. In both cases, passing an exam and supervised training are usually requirements for certification. Learn more about Licensing and Certification here.

Individuals who wished to join the healthcare profession who had never worked in healthcare beforehand, as well as chiropractors, dental hygienists, exercise physiologists, dentists, medical doctors, pharmacists, nurses, registered dietitians, and teachers. Our degree is ideal for students who are looking to enter the field of healthcare at any stage of life.

Yes. Those D.C.’s who have a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of Bridgeport will be eligible to sit for the diplomate of the ACBN. This certification is open to doctors of other specialties as well.

It is important to note that certifications and diplomats represent professional recognition. It does not authorize or license an individual to practice, which is a state regulatory function.

Contact Krista DeVellis at or (203) 576-4527