Masters in Nutrition, MS Online Degree Program
UB’s Master of Science in Nutrition, MS degree program, distinguishes itself from other master’s programs in its focus on functional medicine and its growing value in the prevention and management of a disease.
Embedded in the curriculum is the concept of bio-individuality which enables clinicians to be able to provide customized diet and nutrient recommendations that will be effective. This is provided with an evidence-based scientific approach.
The Human Nutrition Program provides a biochemical and physiological study of nutrition and its role in health and disease. Students gain skills in counseling in alternative and complementary medicine using nutritional strategies. The program further explores the role of nutrition as a preventive, adjunctive, alternative strategy for the prevention and amelioration of specific health conditions.
The program also provides its graduates with a foundation for entering doctoral-level programs, including the Doctor of Health Sciences.
Our student body is diverse and includes leading physicians from various fields and specialties, various allied health care professionals, as well as those seeking to make a career change into nutritionally-based healthcare. Our faculty is highly experienced at teaching to this diverse group of students and provide a fertile ground for learning and scholarly interchange.
We have over two dozen faculty teaching our program which includes Ph.D.’s in biochemistry, advanced degrees in nutrition, and physicians from many fields of medicine. We have created a faculty with a balance of academic and clinical experience to best prepare students for a career in clinical nutrition.
Complete Coursework in as
Little as 28 Months
First Online M.S. in Nutrition Program in the USA
Established in 1997
Preparation for Certification &
Including CNS and DACBN
First Online Clinic Experience for
Graduate Students in the Field
What are the benefits of pursuing a degree at UB’s Nutrition Institute?
- UB has the most established Master’s in Nutrition program in the USA (since 1977).
- We teach clinical nutrition from a functional medicine paradigm providing clinically effective and evidence-based strategies for nutrition practice.
- We embed the concept of bio-individuality and personalized care to offer each client a unique and efficacious plan for their health optimization.
- Faculty members include professors who are seasoned academics and researchers as well as leading clinicians in the field.
- Designers and administrators of the program are practicing clinicians in functional medicine/nutrition with decades of experience.
- Administrative Profile: Karen Siclare
- We feature a unique capstone course, Virtual Clinic, which is the first online clinic experience offered to graduate students in the field. This provides a real case study and clinical management experience and is taught by several different experienced clinicians over a semester.
- The Virtual Clinic is eligible for 255 hours of supervised experience credit towards the Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) credential awarded by the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists. UB leads the way in providing this experience to students.
- UB has a robust and unique College of Health Sciences currently featuring 8 schools/institutes and 14 programs across a wide-span of health care disciplines, one of which is the Nutrition Institute. We also offer dual degree program opportunities for students in other UB graduate health sciences programs. It is the only such program on the east coast to offer such opportunities.
- Our program offers maximum flexibility to complete the program entirely online or through a one-weekend-every-3-weeks on-campus program. Both are perfectly suited for working professionals or those seeking a career change.
Faculty & Assistant Director, Online Learning
Associate Director, Nutrition Institute