The Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences is the chief academic officer for the School reporting directly to the Provost. In conjunction with the School of Arts and Sciences faculty, staff and senior university administration, the Dean is responsible for the effective delivery of educational programs, consistent with the Mission of the University of Bridgeport and the School of Arts and Sciences.
MAJOR DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Preparing a strategic plan for the School of Arts and Sciences undergraduate and graduate curricula, staff the School with faculty whose credentials meet or exceed the standards for the professoriate.
- Preparing a proposed operating budget for the School of Arts and Sciences and monitoring all financial transactions relative to the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Overseeing and monitoring facilities and maintenance for the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Recommending to the Provost hiring, reappointment, rank, promotion and tenure of School faculty and advise the Provost on termination recommendations of faculty.
- Supervising and managing all non-faculty personnel within the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Representing the School of Arts and Sciences on the Provost’s Council and other appropriate University committees and insuring the full integration of the School of Arts and Sciences within the University of Bridgeport.
- Approving and assisting in developing all public relations and marketing materials relative to the School of Arts and Sciences as well as establish, together with the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management, enrollment goals and cooperating with that office in achieving them.
- Serving as the designee on relevant professional, state and regional accrediting and regulatory agencies with regard to the School of Arts and Sciences and the University of Bridgeport.
- Providing leadership for the School of Arts and Sciences for fund-raising and grant writing in conjunction with the University Relations Group, the Office of Sponsored Research and the Institutional Grants Office, and representing the School of Arts and Sciences at professional, public relations and fund raising events.
- Publishing, and encourage the School of Arts and Sciences faculty to publish, in University, regional or professional publications as is appropriate to your discipline.
- Serving as the Ex-officio member on all School of Arts and Sciences committees (except the School Personnel Committee).
- Collaborating with the other deans on shared programming, faculty, facilities and other relevant areas.
- Being available for other duties as assigned by the Provost or the President.
The minimum requirements for this position are: (1) a Ph.D from an accredited institution; (2) substantial experience in higher education administration; (3) a documented record of teaching and scholarly and/or creative accomplishments; and (4) excellent organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills.
To apply for this position, applicants should send a letter of interest and curriculum vitae to:
Department of Human Resources
Dean of Arts & Sciences
University of Bridgeport
Wahlstrom Library, 7th Floor
126 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Fax: (203) 576-4601