Library Technician II
Job Title: Library Technician II, Part-Time Date: August 7, 2013
Department: Library FLSA: Non Exempt, Grade 53
Status: Part-time, 23 hours/week, 32/academic year
Supervisor: University Librarian
Regular Schedule*: Sunday 9 pm – 12:00am (midnight),
Monday-Wednesday 8:00 pm to 12:00am (midnight)
Thursday 4:00-12:00am (midnight)
*This position requires flexibility in scheduling during midterms, finals and alternate library hours of operation which may include day or evening hours. Occasional schedule changes may also be required for vacation coverage, etc.
This Library Technician II will work as part of a team of staff to provide Information Desk services within a cutting edge, technology leading, Learning Commons Model of service during the late evening hours. Duties include provision of services for students and faculty including the circulation and printing functions and providing backup services for the media delivery function.
The Library supports a broad range of undergraduate and graduate programs including distance learning, accelerated adult learner programs, Schools of Education, Naturopathic Medicine, Acupuncture, Engineering, Physician Assistant, and Chiropractic Studies. The Magnus Wahlstrom library has quickly changing priorities and daily tasks are not always predictable. Sufficient progress on large projects will also be expected.
This individual is responsible for keeping the Library open late evenings.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answers Questions in-person, by telephone, through Instant Messaging, and via email.
- Uses and tests all library databases
- Maintains an atmosphere conducive to learning in the Library by enforcing Library policies
- Works closely with other Library staff to develop consistent student support
- Checks material out/in and resolves fines and fees, communicating with University Librarian and Access Services staff regularly
- Back Up of Media Services activities
- Keeps library administration informed of patron issues and all off peak activity in the library
- Assists with processing of materials
- Participates in projects that require use of Ex Libris software
- Other work related duties as assigned by the library administration
- High School Diploma; prefer at least one year of college and previous experience using databases
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office, Library Databases and Internet searching
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to establish good working relationships with students, including international students
- Excellent communication skills, including speaking to groups
- Demonstrated ability to work in customer service, be flexible, and acquire new skills
- Strong service orientation
Applications must be received in Human Resources Department, Wahlstrom Library 7th Floor or electronically to email@example.com
It is the policy of the University of Bridgeport to prohibit discrimination in admissions, educational programs and employment, and in the provision of services on the basis of legally protected class characteristics (unless there is a bona fide occupational qualification related to employment), or any other unlawful factor. Protected class characteristics include race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, creed, ancestry, workplace hazards to reproductive systems, sex (gender identity, gender expression, sexual harassment), marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, national origin, physical/mental/learning disability, veteran status and any other group protected by civil rights laws.
The University of Bridgeport complies with Clery Act and maintains records of campus crime statistics and security policies. Copies of University of Bridgeport Clery Act reports are available at http://www.bridgeport.edu/Media/Website%20Resources/documents/life/CampusSecurityReport.pdf