For the 11th consecutive year, a student-written proposal for a Chapter Activity Grant has been awarded to UB by Pi Sigma Alpha honor society. The grant of $1,200 will be used to fund “The Role of Media in Conflict Resolution,” a colloquium to be hosted at the University of Bridgeport. Three experts, including a guest from the United Nations, will participate. The grant is a highly competitive – 117 chapters applied for the grant this year. Only the top ten percent of undergraduate juniors, seniors, and graduate students are invited to join Pi Sigma Alpha, an honor society for students of political science. Please join them for a remarkable and engaging discussion of current global conflicts and the role of media in seeking resolution.
Sponsored by College of Public and International Affairs and the Pi Sigma Alpha honor society.
The Post-Arbitration South China Sea Disputes
CPIA Roundtable with Prof. Nancy Wei
In July 2016, the Permanent Court of Arbitration nullified China’s South China Sea claims, but the dispute is far from being over.
Beijing and Taipei both rejected the ruling, and Philippine’s new President Duterte has shocked many by agreeing to shelve the dispute with Beijing.
How do the new developments affect Washington’s South China Sea strategy?
Contact Susan Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 583-0509 for more information.
This event is a wonderful opportunity to become acquainted with UB’s campus, students, faculty and staff. We hope you will join us!
Activities will include:
- Continental Breakfast Reception
- Admissions Presentation
- Campus Tour
- Faculty “Meet and Greet”
- Chat with current UB students
- Residence Hall Tour
- Financial Aid Presentation
Monthly meeting of the University Senate. Senators and Presidential Appointees are invited to attend.
Come celebrate UB’s new month-long Summer Scholars program!
Summer Scholars and their faculty mentors will showcase their research and celebrate scholarship at the undergraduate level. UB alumnus Adam Pèrez, Ph.D. (’10) will join the Symposium as keynote speaker.
Keynote Speaker: Adam Pérez, Ph.D.
Dr. Pérez obtained his B.Sc. in Biology, with a minor in Chemistry, from the University of Bridgeport in 2010 and then went on to obtain his Ph. D. in Biochemistry, Microbiology and Molecular Biology at The Pennsylvania State University. Dr. Pérez is passionate about science outreach and communication and has participated in numerous programs, including the ConnCAP Pre-Engineering program and the NSF GK-12 fellowship. Currently, he is a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Louisville working in the Dr. John P. Wise Laboratory of Genetic and Environmental Toxicology. In January 2018, he will be starting a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowship at the startup company Photanol B. V. and the Universiteit van Amsterdam.
What is the Summer Scholars Program?
The Summer Scholars Program was launched this year with a team of faculty who are committed to enculturate interested students into the research experience within their discipline of interest. In addition, these Summer Scholars are attending weekly workshops by UB faculty, staff, and community partners, participating in journal clubs to enhance critical thinking and analytic skills, attending Research in Progress (RIP) meetings led by UB biomedical and biobehavioral faculty, and participating in an academic and professional development series on planning a research career, graduate school admissions, and other topics of interest.
School of Arts and Sciences
College of Public and International Affairs
Amanda Petrus, Ph.D.
Stephen Jackowicz, M.Ac.,L.Ac.,Ph.D.
Robert Riggs, Ph.D.
Join us as each college/school meets with new undergraduate students. Locations vary as follows:
- Arts & Sciences – Mertens Theater
- Trefz School of Business – Mandeville, Room 104
- College of Public and International Affairs – Carlson, Room 252/253
- Engineering – Dana, Room 123
- Fones School of Dental Hygiene – Health Sciences, Room 404
- School of Nursing – Chiropractic College, Room 100
- SASD – ABC Art Gallery
The University of Bridgeport’s Sammis Lecture Series presents:
North Korea: State, Society and Geopolitics
- Reception – 5:30 p.m.
- Presentations and Discussions – 6-7:30 p.m.
- Ricardo Flores, IPED Senior, College of Public and International Affairs
- Dr. Steve Jackowic, “Formation and Structure of the North Korean State”
Assistant Clinical Professor, Acupuncture Institute
- Dr. Chunjuan Nancy Wei, “Why China Does Not Support Its Ally North Korea?”
Associate Professor of East Asian and Pacific Rim Studies
- Dr. Linda Hasunuma, “Cooperation and Conflict among the U.S., Japan, and South Korea”
Assistant Visiting Professor of Political Science
- Dr. Thomas Ward, “Onsite in Pyongyang: Looking Back 25 Years”
Dean, College of Public and International Affairs
- Dr. Kim Setton, Associate Professor of East Asian Studies
- Y.B. Kim, Director of the Martial Arts Studies Institute
Join us on March 28, 2018, and help us Paint the Day Purple for our 2nd Annual Giving Day Challenge. This year our goal is to reach 500 donors in 24 hours. Stay tuned on Giving Day for hourly challenges from UB Board of Trustees and alumni!
For more information, visit bridgeport.edu/givingday
WAYS TO PAINT THE DAY PURPLE
• Make a gift on Wednesday, March 28
› Online at give.bridgeport.edu
› Mail a check payable to University of Bridgeport
› Call the Office of Annual Giving at 203.576.4542
• Get social and share your “Only UB” stories using hashtag #UBGivingDay!
Add your brushstroke and join the painting party!
A former child soldier and a victim of a hand amputation from Sierra Leone discuss reconciliation and the future.
The University of Bridgeport Sammis Lecture Series presents “A US-China Trade War? Likelihood and Implications.”
Tuesday, April 10 at 6:00pm in Mandeville 104.
- John Xu – The U.S. Small Business Administration
- Sergei Kambalov – Diplomat, Economist, and Career United Nations Civil Servant
- Hongbing Deng – Import-Export Specialist in US-China Trade. CT’s 2012 Small Business Entrepreneur of the Year.
- Lloyd Gibson – Dean of the Trefz School of Business
- Congsheng Wu – Faculty, Trefz School of Business
- Joanne Guo – Faculty, Trefz School of Business
All are welcome! Email email@example.com to RSVP.