The University of Bridgeport provides a free shuttle to campus destinations and major transit centers for students with a valid university ID. The shuttle is operated by Campus Security. Please contact them at 203-576-4913 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this service.
National Bus Lines
For traveling out of the local area and out of state of Connecticut, the following services are available:
- Greyhound: (800) 231-222 or www.greyhound.com
- Bridgeport Bus Terminal: (203) 335-1123 or http://gogbt.com/
- Peter Pan/Trailways: (800) 343-9999 or (203) 334-2116 or http://peterpanbus.com/
- Metro North goes Southbound to New York City and northbound to New Haven, making local stops along the way in towns such as Fairfield, Norwalk, Stamford, Stratford, Milford and Hamden, etc. For more information please call 1-800-638-7646 or visit mta.info/mnr
- Amtrak goes to Boston and Washington D.C., as well as other cities and states on the east coast. Call 1-800-872-7245 or visit www.amtrak.com.
- The Bridgeport Railroad Station is located in downtown Bridgeport, opposite the bus station.
Ferry Boat Services
- The Bridgeport/Port Jefferson Ferry provides transportation to Long Island, N.Y. Call 1-800-443-3779 or visit www.88844ferry.com.
Campus Security has been getting reports that students have been refused taxi rides because the fare from downtown to UB is not worth it to the taxi drivers. Any student who is refused a ride from the downtown area to the UB campus should immediately walk up into the Metro North train station and report this to the Metro North Police Officer on duty. It is against the law for any taxi driver to refuse any person a ride (no matter how short the distance) and the penalty is that they could lose their license. If this happens again, please report this to Campus Security and we will follow up.
- Metro Cab: (203) 333-3333
- Yellow Cab: (203) 334-2121
Free City Bus Pass
All full-time UB students are permitted to ride on the city bus system for free. The Greater Bridgeport Transit Authority buses stop at many entertainment, shopping, and cultural destinations throughout the city and surrounding towns.
To obtain your city bus pass, contact:
221 University Avenue
Airport Shuttle Service
On select dates during August and January new student orientation, the University will provide free shuttle service for new students from JFK Airport. Please contact email@example.com for more info about this service. At all other times, for transportation from JFK or LaGuardia airports, the University of Bridgeport recommends that you take Prime Time Shuttle (also known as GO Airport Shuttle) to UB. To reserve a seat, you can go to their website and use a credit card. If you have not reserved a seat before you arrive, you can typically secure a seat on a Prime Time shuttle once you arrive at the airport.
- Once you have arrived at the airport, claimed your baggage, and gone through Customs and Immigration (for International students), go to the Ground Transportation Counter located just outside the baggage claim area.
- Call Prime Time/GO Airport Shuttle on the Courtesy Phone to let them know you have arrived, or tell someone at the Ground Transportation Counter that you want to take the shuttle to the University of Bridgeport. They will tell you where to wait, and the driver will pick you up and take you to your address in Bridgeport.
- The ride to the University of Bridgeport takes about 1 hour. The last van leaves the airports at 10:00 p.m.
- The cost for the trip to the University of Bridgeport is about $60. You should give the driver a tip of about $5.
If you arrive at Newark Airport in New Jersey, you can use Connecticut Limo. Follow the same procedure as above, but ask for Connecticut Limo instead. Connecticut Limo does not take you to your campus address but arrives at the Bridgeport Terminal. The price is about $65 per person. The van leaves frequently throughout the day, until midnight. Once you arrive at Bridgeport Terminal, you should ask for a taxi to the University of Bridgeport.The cost of a taxi to campus from the Bridgeport Terminal is about $6.
In the unlikely event that your flight is delayed past the last departure of these pick-up services, you should stay in an airport hotel overnight and come to Bridgeport the following morning.
DO NOT take a taxi directly from any NY/NJ airport to Bridgeport. It is VERY expensive!
Zipcar Car-Sharing Service
Having a car on campus just got a whole lot easier!
Students at the University of Bridgeport can now have wheels with no strings attached! Zipcar, the world’s leading car-sharing service, is now on campus. With Zipcar, members can reserve self-service, on-demand cars by the hour or day, 24/7. All UB students 18 years of age and older can become a member today for only $25 and will receive $35 in free driving credits. Students who are current Hertz Connect members can transfer their membership to Zipcar for FREE! You can transfer your membership at www.zipcar.com/bridgeport.
As a member you receive:
- Access to Zipcars 24/7
- Gas, insurance, and maintenance are included for free!
- You only need to be 18+ to join
- Discounted hourly rates that start at just $7.50/hour or $69/day
Wondering how it works? There are 4 simple steps to Zipcar freedom:
- Join today at www.zipcar.com/bridgeport
- Once you’re a member, reserve a car online or on your phone for as short as an hour or as long as 7 days
- Let yourself into the car with your unique Zipcard (the keys are already in the car) and...
- Drive away (just make sure to return the car at the end of your reservation)
With Zipcar parked right on campus, it’s easy to get downtown, do errands, or even take a road trip. And since Zipcar covers gas, insurance, and up to 180 miles per day, you can enjoy the freedom of the open road without any of the extra costs.
For more information on i.d. and/or documents needed for international students to reserve a Zipcar, please refer to www.zipcar.com/apply/foreign-drivers.