Become a Volunteer
Since 1969, volunteers have provided free tax assistance and prepared millions of U.S. federal tax returns in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Programs.
The mission of the VITA/TCE Program is to provide free basic tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers. Volunteers are the program’s most valuable resource. To establish the greatest degree of public trust, Volunteers have a responsibility to provide high quality service and uphold the highest of ethical standards.
As a participant in the VITA/TCE Program, I agree to the following standards of conduct:
- I will treat all taxpayers professionally, with courtesy and respect.
- I will safeguard the confidentiality of taxpayer information.
- I will apply the tax laws equitably and accurately to the best of my ability.
- I will only prepare returns for which I am certified. (Basic, Advanced, etc.)
- I will exercise reasonable care in the use and protection of equipment and supplies.
- I will not solicit business from taxpayers I assist or use the knowledge I have gained about them for any direct or indirect personal benefit for me or any other specific individual.
- I will not accept payment from taxpayers for the services I provide. I may receive compensation as an employee of a program sponsor.
- I will ensure the returns I prepare, follow the Intake/Interview and Quality Review Processes.
Benefits may include:
- IRS Recognition & Training Certificate
- 3 Credit Internship ‘BUAD 382’(Undergrad School of Business)
- 1 Credit Co-Op ‘BUAD
- 200’(Undergrad School of Business)
- Valuable Experience on your Resume
- Private Invitation to a Fortune 500 Company
If you strongly believe you possess what it takes to serve your community, please stop by your International Student Services Office and indicate your interest today. Acceptance is limited to availability and demand. Qualification is required to be accepted into the program.