Visa Frequently Asked Questions

May I study at the University of Bridgeport with my Current Status?

International students in many different non-immigrant statuses may study. However, there are a few exceptions. Specifically, if you have B-1, B-2 or F-2 status then you are generally not allowed to study in the U.S. at the university level or in a language training program. Some statuses allow for study as an extra activity to what you are already doing. Some examples of this would be the H-1B, H-4, L-1 and other categories. If you do not have F-1 or J-1 student status and are concerned about whether or not it is legal for you to study, please contact the International Office for an appointment with an advisor. It is your responsibility to maintain your legal right to stay in the U.S.

What do I do if my Visa is Denied?

Please visit the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs website for tips on visa denials.

Where can I find Tips for Applying for a Student Visa?

Please visit the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs website for tips on student visas.

How Do I Maintain Legal Student Status?

To maintain your legal right to stay in the U.S. as an F-1 student, you must meet the following general requirements:

1. Keep your passport and I-94 card valid at all times. If your I-94 card has an expiration date of “D/S” then this is a valid card for an F or J participant. Your passport will have a specific expiration date.

2. Register full time as required by your academic program. Not all programs at U.B. have a summer vacation period. Please check with your academic advisor to see what your requirements are for full time study. 12 credits per semester is the minimum for full time study for undergraduates; however, full time at the graduate level varies and students must consult their academic department. Exceptions to full time study must be authorized by an International Advisor prior to the start of the semester or prior to dropping courses.

3. Keep your I-20 form valid at all times. Be aware that there is an expiration date on your I-20 form. If your I-20 form is going to expire and you need extra time to study, you must extend your I-20 form by applying at the International Office prior to the current expiration date. Your I-20 form must also be correct for the school you are attending and your academic program.

4. Do not accept any employment without specific authorization from the International Office.

If you have any questions regarding your immigration responsibilities while you are in the U.S. please contact the International Office for individual advisement.