J-2 Dependents

Your dependent spouse and children (under the age of 21), may apply for the J-2 visa or change of status to J-2 to accompany you in the U.S. while you are in J-1 status.

J-2 dependents are allowed to apply to the U.S. immigration service for employment authorization as long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1, but instead will be used to support the family’s customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel. Please see the International Office for details on application for J-2 employment authorization.

To have your dependents join you, a DS-2019 form will be issued for them. The following items are required to issue the DS-2019 form:

Proof of marriage for a spouse
Proof of birthday of spouse, if not on marriage certificate
Proof of birth for a child
Proof of financial support for yourself plus an additional $6,000 per dependent.