F-2 Dependents

Your dependent spouse and children (unmarried and under the age of 21), may apply for an  F-2 visa or change of status to F-1 to accompany you in the United States while you are in F-1 student status. F-2 dependents are NOT allowed employment under any circumstances. F-2 children may attend school up to the high school level, but there are strict restrictions on attendance at the university level or for language training. Please be sure to discuss education of your F-2 dependents with an International Student Advisor prior to having them start an educational program.

To have your dependents join you, an I-20 form must be issued for them.

The following items are required:

  • F-2/J-2 Application form
  • Proof of marriage for a spouse; If the marriage certificate is not in English, please provide a copy of the marriage certificate and the English translation
  • Copy of passport page(s) showing name, date of birth, place of birth and citizenship
  • Proof of birth for a child (birth certificate); If the birth certificate is not in English, please provide a copy of the birth certificate and the English translation
  • Proof of financial support for yourself and your dependent(s) *
  • Undergraduate – $49,015 + $7,225 per dependent
  • Graduate – $33,795 + $7,225 per dependent


  • Dental Hygiene (Undergraduate) – $53,575 + $7,225 per dependent
  • Dental Hygiene (Graduate)- $32,055 + $7,225 per dependent
  • Acupuncture – $37,520 + $7,225 per dependent
  •  Chiropractic – $44,945 + $7,225 per dependent
  • Naturopathic Medicine – $47,485 + $7,225 per dependent
  • Education- $30,840 + $7,225 per dependent
  • Global Development and Peace- $30,925 + $7,225 per dependent
  • Design Management-  $33,875 + $7,225 per dependent
  • Physician Assistant- $57,845 + $7,225 per dependent

Students on OPT provide:

  • $14,450 Room and Board + $7,225 per dependent

*You must supply a bank letter (savings or checking account only) on an official letterhead signed and dated by a bank official from within the last six months (scan okay). The funds must be sufficient to cover the expenses for you (the student) and for your spouse and children. For non-personal funds, you must supply an Affidavit of Support (scan okay). If you don’t have a notarized affidavit of support (because notary is not readily available in your country), you may download this form.

Please allow at least two weeks for processing after you provide all required documents. Processing time varies according to current workload.

These support documents cannot be more than six months old.