F-1 I-20 Form Extension

When should I apply to extend my I-20 form?

If you will be remaining in your educational program beyond the originally estimated completion date (see question #5 on your I-20 form) you must request an extension of your I-20 form before your I-20 form expires.  An extension may be done at any time before the I-20 form expires- however, we recommend that you turn in your request to the International Student Services at least one month before your I-20 form expires.  Failure to extend your I-20 form before it expires is a violation of your F-1 student status and will require reinstatement to F-1 status.

Am I eligible to extend my I-20 form?
You are eligible to extend your I-20 form if you:

  • Have continually maintained F-1 status and
  • Are making normal progress toward degree completion and
  • The delay in completion is caused by
    • Compelling academic reasons beyond your control or
    • Compelling medical reasons beyond your control

What is a “compelling academic reason”?
Examples of compelling academic reasons are:  change in major or research topic, or unexpected research problems.  Delays caused by academic probation, suspension, dismissal, poor academic progress or unauthorized breaks in full time study are not acceptable reasons for program extension.

What happens if I do not qualify to extend my I-20 form?
Students who cannot complete the program by the expiration of the I-20 and who do not meet the eligibility criteria for program extension are considered violation of F-1 status and must apply for F-1 student reinstatement or lawfully re-enter the U.S. with a new I-20 form.

Procedure for I-20 extension
Please bring the following to the International Student Services:

  • I-20 Extension Application Form
  • A bank letter or statement (savings or checking account only) in English dated no more than 6 months old; For non-personal funds, an affidavit of support is required. If you don’t have a notarized affidavit of support (because notary is not readily available in your country), you may download the form.

How much financial support do I need to show?

Graduate Students: $33,795


  • Acupuncture: $37,520
  • Chiropractic: $44,945
  • Dental Hygiene: $32,055
  • Design Management: $33,875
  • Education: $30,840
  • Global Development & Peace: $30,925
  • Naturopathic: $47,485
  • Physician Assistant: $57,845

Undergraduate Students: $49,015


  • Dental Hygiene: $53,575

If you have F-2 dependents add: $7,225 for each dependent
You may show 1/2 of the above amounts if your extension request is only for one semester.

Graduate students requesting for one semester extension and taking fewer than 9 credit hours:

8 Credits 7 Credits 6 Credits 5 Credits 4 Credits 3 credits 2 Credit  1 Credit
$16,898 $16,068 $15,238 $14,408 $13,578 $12,748 $11,918 $11,088

Please be advised to pre-register for the upcoming semester if registration has begun.  A new I-20 will be issued to you in about one to two weeks.