*** CPT authorization is granted on a semester-by-semester basis only! If you wish to continue your employment beyond the semester for which you have been authorized, you must follow the entire application process again. You can start this process as soon as you pre-register for the next semester.
Step 1. Review the criteria above for eligibility and the application procedure.
Step 2. In order to be eligible, you must meet the following conditions:
- Balance less than $500
- GPA must be at least 3.0 (Graduate) or 2.0 (Undergraduate)
- You must not have any pending grades or unsatisfactory grade for a prior CPT
- No holds on your account
- Pre-registered for next semester (only for CPT during Summer and Winter breaks)
Step 3:If you are eligible for all the above, scan/email to firstname.lastname@example.org two documents to be reviewed by an International Student Advisor:
- Job offer letter printed on a letterhead and signed/dated by your employer (Electronic signatures are not acceptable); it MUST include ALL required information as shown in this sample letter. **Please remember your start date should be at least 1 to 2 weeks into the future**
- Cooperative Education/Internship Agreement signed by your prospective employer. Click on link to print.
Step 4: Please give enough time (1 to 2 weeks) for the advisor to review your application after emailing your documents.
Step 5: Once your documents are approved, an International Student Advisor will schedule you an appointment for CPT processing by e-mail. Once you have an appointment made, you can start preparing the documents below. Please make sure you visit your academic department and Center for Career Development’s office to fill out the forms and receive their signatures.
At the time of your appointment, you MUST have ALL the required documents below:
Please note: If you have questions about your eligibility for CPT, please email email@example.com with your full name and UB ID included using your UB email account.