The Michael Katke Memorial Scholarship was established and is funded by Designs for Health, Inc. to benefit students pursuing their dreams of degrees in fields related to nutrition, lifestyle and functional medicine. Eligible programs at UB include the Master’s in Human Nutrition (both on-campus and online) and the Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine (N.D.), and application is limited to new incoming students to either program.
Remembering Michael Katke
“Michael Katke, was a longtime mentor and pioneer in the field of professional nutritional supplement and nutraceutical marketing, and a tireless advocate for nutritional, lifestyle, and functional medicine. Mike Katke was also friend, colleague, mentor, and visionary to many during the three decades he devoted himself to this industry. Whether you knew Mike for a decade or a day, he left an impression that was hard to forget. His warmth and energy was endearing. His 35 years of experience, knowledge, and passion for the field of nutrition and lifestyle medicine have inspired the creation of the Michael Katke Memorial Scholarship.”
– David M. Brady, N.D., Vice President for Health Sciences
Apply For This Scholarship
1. Submit a well-written, typed essay that is at least six hundred (600) words and states the reason(s) that the student desires to practice functional or lifestyle medicine
2. Attach a cover page that includes the following information:
- First and last name
- Student ID
- Academic Program
- Phone Number
- Mailing Address
- Email Address
3. Email your scholarship essay and cover page to Melanie Rogers, Director of Graduate Admissions, at email@example.com.
Once received, your scholarship application will be reviewed by the admissions committee, and you will be notified of the results as soon as possible.
The Michael Katke Scholarship is only awarded once a year for the Fall semester. Due to the competitive nature of this award, you are strongly encouraged to submit your scholarship application as soon as possible and not wait until the deadline below.
Fall semester: May 1
Review Scholarship Guidelines
Scholarship recipients will be eligible to receive their scholarship award for the duration of the academic program providing the following conditions are met:
- Student must be enrolled as an official full time student for each semester in which they receive the scholarship
- The scholarship will cover tuition only. Mandatory fees and room and board charges are not covered by this scholarship
- Student conduct must be consistent with standards set forth in the “Key to UB” and the respective academic program
- Scholarships are for new incoming students. Current students are not eligible.
The University of Bridgeport, at the discretion of the academic dean, reserves the right to revoke the scholarship if any of the above conditions are not met.