Ways to Demonstrate English Language Competency
You can demonstrate proof of English Language competency by meeting any one of the criteria listed below:
1. A letter certifying completion of level 6 at the University’s English Language Institute (ELI).
Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeport’s English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB).
3. A minimum IELTS Band score of 6.0 for Undergraduates and a minimum Band score of 6.5 for graduates (post-graduates).
4. A transcript from an accredited American university indicating a grade of “C” or better in one semester of college English Composition.
5. Critical Reading SAT score of 400 or above; or ACT English score of 19 or above.
6.An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Service) through level 112.
7.An official letter certifying completion of CSE (The Center for English Studies) through level 7.5.
8. A Michigan English Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 69 or above for undergraduates and score of 77 or above for graduates.
9. A Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) English achievement score of 500 or above.
10. A level of “Advanced” on the English Language Proficiency Test of the College Board.
11. An official “O” level or “A” level Certificate indicating a grade of “C” or better in English.
12. An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduates and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduates.
13. A score of 4 or better on the “English A” Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
14. WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. – Score of “C” or better on English Language exam.
You must demonstrate English language competency in one of the ways listed above. If you don’t demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may begin classes.