English Language Requirement
Ways to Demonstrate English Language Proficiency
You must demonstrate English language proficiency in one of the ways listed below. If you cannot demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may be able to begin academic classes.
- Proof of completion of level 6 at the University’s English Language Institute (ELI)
- Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeport’s English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB)
- A minimum TOEFL score of 75 (IBT) for undergraduates and a minimum score of 80 (IBT) for graduates (post-graduates)
- A minimum IELTS Band score of 6.0 for undergraduates and a minimum IELTS Band score of 6.5 for graduates (post-graduates)
- A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 53 for undergraduates and a minimum PTE Academic score of 58 for graduates (post-graduates)
- A grade of “C” or better from an accredited American university for one semester of college English Composition
- Critical Reading SAT score of 400 or above or ACT English score of 19 or above
- An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Service) Level 112
- An official “O” level or “A” level Certificate indicating a grade of “C” or better in English
- An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduates and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduates
- A score of 4 or better on the “English A” Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program
- WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. – Score of “C” or better on English Language exam
The ELAB test is given at the University of Bridgeport to new students who arrive without proof of English language proficiency. The ELAB is the Versant English Placement Test, a computer based test. Here is a link to an explanation of the test: ELAB Test Question Descriptions You may view the video demo here.
The ELAB is given on several dates before the start of the fall and spring semesters and by request at other times to students wishing to transfer from other schools into academic programs at the University of Bridgeport.
The ELAB is not the same thing as the ELI Placement Test, which is given to students wishing to start their studies in English language at the English Language Institute at the University of Bridgeport.